PDA

View Full Version : Adding Thickenss to a group of Polygons - Ideas ?

wtdedula
12-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Hello All;
What are some of the ways I can add thickness to a group of polygons on LW 10? I've seen reference to a L-Script called "Thickener" but that doesn't work in version 10. Do any plug-ins exist for Ver. 10 or is there an easy way to add thickness using the included tools ? I need a plug-in that works along the surface normals so I can't just use Extrude. Thanks.

Tim

probiner
12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes, you can use multishift too. Thickener, as far as I understand, is just that shift (not linear extrusion) process automatized.

If you for example want a 50mm thick geometry, just copy it, flip it and shift it with Multishift by 50mm and then merge with the original geometry.
If for example you want the geometry to be in the center of the thickening, just do has above, but only 25mm and then before merging, shift the original mesh 25mm too, and then merge and dissolve the center loop.

Cheers

dwburman
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Have you tried the latest version of Thickener? It seems to be working in LW 10 here:
http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/11/lightwave-plugin-of-the-week-thickener-3-5/

I show a technique for thickening without plugins in this (free) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPgzMrrfGk

biliousfrog
12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
I usually select the polys, copy, flip, smooth-shift, paste, merge points - done!

multi-shift helps if the polys won't shift as expected with smooth-shift.

Surrealist.
12-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah thickener has been updated and should work.

As mentioned ,the Multishift solution has advantages. Some steps listed here if you need it.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=63026&highlight=ribbon

JamesCurtis
12-14-2011, 10:32 PM
The thing I've noticed about Thickener, is that if you create, let's say a cube, and cut off the top, then use Thickener on it, if you try to thicken the thickness of the walls are not the same from top to bottom, and they continue to vary more, as the thickness is increased. This has been an issue for me for quite some time, through several LW versions.

Anyone else notice this? Could someone confirm this? If this is a bug, I wish it could be fixed.

Using a PC, Vista Business 64bit, i7 920, 6 GB of ram.

meshpig
12-15-2011, 12:56 AM
The thing I've noticed about Thickener, is that if you create, let's say a cube, and cut off the top, then use Thickener on it, if you try to thicken the thickness of the walls are not the same from top to bottom, and they continue to vary more, as the thickness is increased. This has been an issue for me for quite some time, through several LW versions.

Anyone else notice this? Could someone confirm this? If this is a bug, I wish it could be fixed.

Using a PC, Vista Business 64bit, i7 920, 6 GB of ram.

Old tools made new... my fav example is "taper evenly" with no falloff.

prometheus
12-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Aha..and where do I dowload the latest thickener plugin?

It says I donīt have permission to download, so I was looking for website registration wich I suspect is needed to download? but canīt find that either??

Ahh..I seem to have found it..a little cumbersome to find thou, they should have a register button next to the download.
Michael