PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave based website

dyls_E
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi, its not perfect but its an example of using lightwave and flash to make a semi 3D (billboard) website http://www.caterworx.com.au

i did this in lightwave 9.6 so its a few years old now, i wish i had linear colour space back then.

let me know what you think anyways, good or bad, im not precious about my work.
dylan.

Amurrell
12-12-2011, 09:37 PM
It takes quite a while to load in. Is there some type of optimization that can be done to shorten this?

dyls_E
12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I wrote the code a while back and i was fairly new to As3, So yes if i did it again i would be able to make it a fair bit faster. its less then 1mb tho still.

Im holding off for the flash player 11, its meant to make any heavy animation run smoother, and i dont think a mb is too large for most people now.

thanks for your comment.

Sekhar
12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Very cool, love the idea/concept. Unfortunately it's way too slow to load (here in US), and I'm not a fan of forcing people to read instructions through a popup - why not just make the left/right navigation arrows conspicuous/difficult to miss?

dyls_E
12-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Thankyou,
Im in australia, we have nearly the worst internet in the universe haha, it takes about 4 seconds to load here.

The arrows are a recent addition on request by the client unfortiantly, i totally agree with you on that point, but they had some bad feedback about people not being able to work out how to use the site and requested arrows and instructions.

probiner
12-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Nice idea. I would like to point out that it can become a bucket of windows If there was a way to keep each clickable object window with it's content going on just there instead of opening more windows would be nicer. Also when you pick for example the 'Uniforms' it could put a 20% Opaque layer in the background that would block you from clicking anything else, plus if you would click that empty space it would shut down that window and you could move on to anothe item.

Cheers

dyls_E
12-13-2011, 04:14 AM
that actually sounds like a simple and nice solution... i like it. If they ever want an update i might add that functionality.

took ages to program all those damn windows so they would be in the right z order and come forward when clicked on. haha. im defiantly a designer and not a programmer.

biliousfrog
12-13-2011, 04:30 AM
I waited 2 minutes and the loading bar was roughly half-way so I gave up. I'm sure I gave it much longer than most people would. I'm on a 1.8mb connection BTW.

dyls_E
12-13-2011, 04:35 AM
that's really strange, im not sure whos hosting it, maybe its a local Australian small town telco that cant do overseas that well... i dont really know much about hosting but the file size is only just over 1mb...

im on 140kb connection and only takes a few seconds :S sorry about wasting your time then.

Andrewstopheles
12-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Was slow for me as well, and it's definitely the host if it's only 1mb.
Switching hosts would be the first step to speed it up.
Conceptually this is very nice.

biliousfrog
12-13-2011, 06:27 AM
I'm not 100% sure about this but I thought that Flash was a compressed format which needs to be unpacked in some way to run? So, if it's a 1mb file, it could be much larger once downloaded, unpacked and running...maybe?

Are you clearing your cache before loading the site BTW? If it's already in memory it will load almost instantly.

dyls_E
12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
yeh i use dreamweaver's live preview, then i use that to open the http site for testing downloads, it doesn't use a cache as far as i know, so that it can see changes easily.

Looks like there are a lot more problems with this site then i originally thought. good to know tho.

dyls_E
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
oh and thanks Andrew, i didn't see your comment there :)

Andrewstopheles
12-14-2011, 06:15 AM
The scrolling/panning effect could be achieved in CSS with JQuery. Your site would load faster and run on all major browsers (and most mobile browsers), vastly improving the number of people who can view the site (iPhone and iPad for example).
Flash is, *ahem*, getting a little long in the tooth. I used to use Flash for every project and now haven't used it in a couple of years for anything. I do still publish FLV video though!

seaman2010
12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I would like to just say... your v-tour is amazing. yes its a little slow even on a T1 connect. It was worth the wait. Good job!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

dyls_E
12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
im starting to learn javascript, and jquery i really dont know yet. Im going to stick it out with flash tho. i figure websites were around before ipads, so if they cant run flash its their loss. I would like to add new interactivity with flash's mobile tilt controls tho. I should really give the html 5 stuff a go, but i dont think im a good enough scripter to be able to do it correctly, with flash i know as long as people have flash player it will look the way i want it too. I know flash is going through a rough patch, but i like it.

And thanks Seaman2010

Carm3D
12-25-2011, 07:48 PM
The resulting page is impressive. A little radiosity splotching on the walls in places but quite nice. But the loading times as you have been made well aware, are too much to ask for your target audience.

I would suggest more compression in your graphics, and.. And I know this would make it more complex, but maybe loading things in pieces.. Load one room, and restrict their motion to within the one room while the next room loads. Once it's loaded, have some text pop up telling them such-and-such a room is now available for visiting.

dyls_E
12-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Thankyou very much.

I really dont like websites that dont all load at once, so i wouldn't do that unless i could do it seamlessly. Maybe i should have vector oulines with preloaders of objects just incase people get to an object before its loaded.

Personally i think the website is probably 3 rooms too big, but they kept asking for more haha clients hey! hehe

Carm3D
12-26-2011, 05:26 AM
I would also suggest making the two panning zones on the extreme left and right of the screen to be wider. Those two arrows are so subtle, some people might not see them. One thing you could do would be to have those two arrows appear in the center of the screen, have a glint of light slide over them to draw the user's attention to them, then have them move to their respective sides of the screen... Then you know everyone will know they are there and you don't run the risk of someone visiting the page and never realizing they were there.

My experience was, I moved my mouse to the extreme right because I saw it was preloading the Library of Congress so I didn't want my mouse to be in the way of the upcoming greatness. When the room appeared it was constantly scrolling, and I was wondering if I was just looking at an animation.

And maybe render the foreground tables orthographically. It was bugging me how the angle of perspective was all wrong when it was on one side of the screen.