PDA

View Full Version : When to upgrade to LW11

Swifty604
12-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Your thoughts please.....I'm relatively new to both 3D animation and Lightwave. Bought LW10 recently so still in the early stages of getting to grips with it. Do I take advantage of LW11 pre-release price or do I master v10 before upgrading?

Dexter2999
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I would lean towards learning what you have. The money you put out for the upgrade could buy you some nice plug ins and training materials.

wesleycorgi
12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
You may want to check with Customer Service to see if you fall into the free upgrade window.

Surrealist.
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Your thoughts please.....I'm relatively new to both 3D animation and Lightwave. Bought LW10 recently so still in the early stages of getting to grips with it. Do I take advantage of LW11 pre-release price or do I master v10 before upgrading?

I think that LightWave development will likely be fairly swift over the next two years and then it will likely die down again a bit after they have caught up to where they were with CORE.

Just my opinion. So it just depends on what you need out of the software. But I think LightWave 10 will become much more obsolete than any other previous versions a lot faster than we are used to.

Because of this swift change it would be a good idea to come along for the ride and learn the new stuff rather than the old. Certain things will carry forward, this is true. But I think it would make more sense to spend time learning things that will be around longer such as Bullet Physics and Instancing than it would to learn old things that will be replaced or fall out of use in the near future.

If you are heavy on Modeling you could probably ride out modeler for a few years as it will not likely see any improvements very soon.

What we are all hoping for and being promised are some significant changes in the software going away from where it has been in the past. And LW 11 seems like the first big step in that direction - at least in Layout.

So if you have the cash to burn it would be a good idea I think to learn the new stuff. Because this is only the beginning of many changes - we hope - to come in very short oder. :)

biliousfrog
12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Really, it doesn't matter. You should concentrate on learning techniques rather than specific software tools. I'm making a reasonable living with 9.6, I have also had to work with 32bit 9.3.1 this year...the only things which I've felt restricted by are Lightwave specific, not version specific (such as two applications rather than unified). I'm considering LW11 but only because it integrates some tools which I currently use in plugin form (instancing, VPR, Linear colour space). Also, by holding off from buying LW10 and upgrading to LW11, I've saved myself some cash :)

That's my view, learn to use what you have to become a better artist and upgrade when you've outgrown it.

Swifty604
12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I knew I'd get some for and some against upgrading considering my overall inexperience. Off to give all your points some thought. Thanks for your time, guys xx