PDA

View Full Version : I just bought ZB 4R2!

adrian
12-11-2011, 04:39 AM
I've just bought ZBrush4R2 so was wondering if anyone can recommend any good books or training DVDs? I'm starting from scratch with it. There seems so many out there it's a bit confusing which one(s) to start with.

I think I'd prefer a DVD as I learn better by watching than reading but if anyone has come across an excellent book ala Dan Ablan standard then I would certainly consider that an option.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to LW 11 for the GoZ feature which I hear good things about.

UnCommonGrafx
12-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Start with their website: excellent get started material there.
From there, Steve Warner and Meat Meiers are excellent. Taron does a bit over there, too.

Lots of material. You can't go wrong, really, with the training available.

djwaterman
12-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Congratulations, Z-Brush is the next thing I want after I get LW11. It seems the website is all you need to get going. It's a fantastic website, I wish Newtek would copy it.

OnlineRender
12-11-2011, 05:29 AM
I bought zb2 when it came out and I must admit its one of the best investments I have ever made ...there is a ton of high quality material ,free and commercial ,try Adam Gibson he has some good stuff or YouTube ......

bazsa73
12-11-2011, 05:42 AM
The last release with dynamesh is supercool. The only painful thing is retopo but then we wouldn't feel that we live. I mean if every thing in life would work smoothly.

adrian
12-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys, can't wait to get started with it (I have to wait a few days as I bought it on DVD rather than download).

Will check out the website as well as the suggestions :thumbsup:

jaf
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys, can't wait to get started with it (I have to wait a few days as I bought it on DVD rather than download).

Will check out the website as well as the suggestions :thumbsup:

I'm surprised you still don't have the option to download the program in addition to the DVD, but maybe there's a good reason for that.

adrian
12-12-2011, 03:13 AM
I bought it from a UK reseller rather than direct from Pixologic as it worked out about 50 cheaper. From what I could tell I either had the option of downloading it or having it on DVD, not both.

Not a problem, gives me something to look forward to :)

Wolvy_UK
12-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi, well done on your purchase, it' s a great program and so many free upgrades ( there's another free update coming this month).

As already said, lots of tutorials on Pixologic website. Here' s a couple more links for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cannedmushrooms#g/p This guy has 2000 free videos on youtube ( Not all on Zbush, but also game engines and blender ). He' s been doing videos for Zbrush since version 3 I think and he teaches in a college so knows what he' s talking about. That should cover all the features and how to use the tools.

If you want to learn from someone in the industry, then this book is by scott spencer who works at Weta. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZBrush-Character-Creation-Advanced-Sculpting/dp/0470572574/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323694760&sr=8-1#_

I don' t have the book above, so I don' t know how much extra you will learn if you' ve already watched all the cannedmushroom ones, but if you are thinking of doing any sort of humanoid character model, then this book is great and will teach you everything you need to know. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZBrush-Digital-Sculpting-Human-Anatomy/dp/0470450266/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323694760&sr=8-3 It will show you how to make the superhero type guy on the cover from start to finish.

Both these books also have video tutorials on their DVD' s. Those links should get you up to speed pretty quickly. good luck with it and don' t forget about the free upgrade coming.

adrian
12-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the additional links and also the heads up for the free upgrade, which I didn't know about.

Laticis
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi Adrian,

For ZBrush Training I thoroughly recommend the two Tutorials below.
They will help give you a solid foundation in understanding ZBrush and its tools.
I am hoping for a new one relating to new features and change of ZBrush4R2

http://eat3d.com/zbrush4_intro

http://eat3d.com/zbrush35_intro

Michael Pavlovich is an entertaing instructor.

adrian
12-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Awesome recommendations Laticis :D

I'm definately going to buy the first one, Zbrush4 Intro. I've also been going through the videos on ZbrushCentral, even though I can't follow along at the moment.

As you say, let's hope he comes up with a 4R2 version too although being a complete newbie to this software I'm not entirely sure what's new with the R2 version.

I am very glad there seems to be a ton of GOOD training material out there for ZB because quite frankly, the learning curve seems to be massive! Add to that I have precious little natural artistic talent (ie I can't draw to save my life) which just increases the challenge.