PDA

View Full Version : curtains?

sadkkf
12-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Are there any good tutorials for animating theater-style curtains?

I'm using 10.1, but will be upping to 11 when the cash starts flowing again. :)

bazsa73
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Come on mister, you can do it without any tutorial. Even better. Tutorials makes your brain blunt if you rely on them all the time.

sadkkf
12-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow. That was abundantly helpful.

Can anyone offer something constructive? I Wouldn't ask if I didn't need help.

nickdigital
12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
See if this thread helps.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=48443&highlight=curtains

sadkkf
12-10-2011, 11:03 AM
@nickdigital -- thank you! The link in that thread to the NT tutorials is broken, but someone posted scene files with a great example.

Surrealist.
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
That morph solution is pretty slick. Another thing you can do is use bones in a similar way. The bones basically move the mesh and just like in the example the areas that are fixed will follow the bones. The remainder will go along with the cloth dynamic.

bazsa73
12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Wow. That was abundantly helpful.

Can anyone offer something constructive? I Wouldn't ask if I didn't need help.

If you dont bang your head against problems you will always be a tutorial follower and your ability to solve problems will remain weak. That's what I wanted to point out.

ShadowMystic
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
You could use ClothFX and sewing tool.

Cryonic
12-10-2011, 09:20 PM
If you dont bang your head against problems you will always be a tutorial follower and your ability to solve problems will remain weak. That's what I wanted to point out.

Tutorials are also a good way to get familiar with new techniques and others' workflows. I know I wouldn't even have half a clue of all the tools and their uses without tutorials.
Banging your head against a problem doesn't help if you don't have the basic foundation of what the program is capable of to solve the problem.

probiner
12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
:agree: /\ And when you are on a clock they are also a good way to intruduce you to something with all the gotchas that you might catch on the way.

bazsa73
12-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Whatever, I just wanted to say that using our brains won't hurt anyone. I at least try to solve the problems on my own and I look for help only when I feel 'm really stuck. But maybe I'm too old and grumpy and I already forgot how did it feel being a novice.
Cheers guys :)

Cryonic
12-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Whatever, I just wanted to say that using our brains won't hurt anyone. I at least try to solve the problems on my own and I look for help only when I feel 'm really stuck. But maybe I'm too old and grumpy and I already forgot how did it feel being a novice.

So, you never read the manual? that is a form of seeking help. Tutorials are just putting parts of the manual into a certain order to show off how something works...

Yes, learning how to do something the "hard" way can help keep it fresh in ones mind, but I think you might have expressed that a different way than your original post.

sadkkf
12-19-2011, 04:58 PM

That's not what your first post said, though. I do try to figure things out for myself first, but sometimes time works against me and there isn't time. As I said, I wouldn't ask if I didn't need help.