PDA

View Full Version : wrong maps???

Dune
12-10-2011, 05:41 AM
Being a newbie, I've encountered a problem. What am I doing wrong? I mapped all surfaces and in Lightwave it looks good, but when I open the .lwo in Poseray or the exported .obj in Terragen, the maps are wrong. It probably has to do with welding and unwelding and welding UV, but I cannot get it right.
I noticed that when I hit heal UV, while looking at a UV map, it distorts.
Please advise me what to do!

biliousfrog
12-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Are you UV'ing the maps in Lightwave or using planar, cubic, spherical etc?

Sensei
12-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Try Detail > Unweld. Then export as obj.

Do you have every single polygon uv mapped? In LW you can place textures without having uv map, there are built-in projections that do it automatically, but 3rd party applications don't understand it.

Dune
12-11-2011, 01:24 AM
I made UV maps in LW, mostly cubic, and then unwelded points and rotated/moved items in the UVmap about until the texture looked ok. I then hit m to merge points. Nevertheless, some items still seem torn apart by welded points. It looks good in the upper right screen, but when exporting, the maps aren't read well. So I need to somehow fix+weld the maps like they are, or repair them. But how?
When I look at some UVmaps in the upper left corner, there are loose points (white, not red). Do they have anything to do with the problem?
I need it for use outside Lightwave, so it has to be exported properly.

Sensei
12-11-2011, 03:51 AM
If I were you, I would delete everything except polygons which looks bad after exporting, then export, to see whether problem is still present. If so, then you have something to give to us, to investigate.

Dune
12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I fixed it somehow, by unwelding and merging everything, then flattening layers and exporting as obj. I'll take care to unweld points before moving poly's around in the UVmap.
Thanks for your help!

speismonqui
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
nice render Dune, are you planing on adding some trees or vegetation?
just one suggestion, the red windows are too... red, saturated. maybe you could lower their diffuse amount?

Dune
12-12-2011, 12:58 AM
The shutters, you mean? They could have some wear and more subdued color I presume. Well, I am building about 60 houses or so to make a medieval small town, according to old street plans, and this will be rendered in Terragen (in the end). But I am not very good yet at LW, so it's going slow. This was just a test render to see how the houses looked so far.

Dune
12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
I hope someone can help me understand the right procedure, because it's not going well.
I made a tower, subtracted some windows in it by Speedboolean, cut different surfaces (stone, roofs, windows) out and pasted them back. Then I made maps for these surfaces. In the stone map I had to turn a few polygons to get the texture right, so I selected all points in that map, unwelded, and turned the polys. Then merged (m) all points again.
Strange things happen all the time: I see red points in the UV map, I see the windows when I make a new stone map... Please help me out!
The tower looks okay in LW, but when I export things go wrong.

gerry_g
12-14-2011, 04:36 AM
you don't have enough geometry to

A: hold the shape, if a poly becomes non planar on an inverted curve or angle this webbed overlap is typically what you see so add more edges to describe the surface more accurately for the program.

B: By adding more geometry to better describe the surface you help the program better fit the textures to it, so the one solution solves both problems at the same time.

Dune
12-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks! I find it easier to make windows by subtracting boxes from a plane, than cutting the whole plane up first, so after that it would be best to triple the broken up large planes.
At what stage should I make the maps? I have now made a house with basically four large planes without windows, and mapped those. I will then cut out the windows and map those (and triple the large planes). Would that work?

gerry_g
12-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Best to finish modelling first, not all tools treat uv's well some make a mess ( I think bevel is one) also if you want to move a window after you have uv'd it you will have to move the map to match it does not auto update. Regards booleans, 1 – they leave a mass of un-welded points and one point polygons in their wake and need a lot of cleaning up, 2 – they could be the rout cause of your non planer problem, you will learn with experience to stay away from the tool, 'Solid Drill<Stencil' in the same tool category is usually a better option, you set it up to work the same way as boolean but it stencils the surface rather than removes stuff. Yes tripling is a good way to go but you get a messy model, it's better to be more disciplined and build neatly that way if you want to amend the model life is way easier

Dune
12-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Thanks Gerry, that really helps me!