PDA

View Full Version : Looping SkyTracer 2 - PLZ HELP!

InsomniacZx
10-16-2003, 03:13 PM
I finally figured out how to animate the clouds in skytracer2. Using the envelope positioning, I was able to move the x position of the clouds over a 150 frame scene.

Anyway, my problem is that I want to loop the animation as seemlessly as possible. I was looking at the graph editor, to see if I could just return the x position back to the start position, by the end of the 150 frames, all this did was create a loop that the clouds move forward, then backwards... Not what I had in mind.

Does anyone know how to loop an animation from frame 1 to frame x and back to frame 1 without the animation going in reverse? Is there a way to use expressions or post behaviors?

BTW- I am using a procedural texture for my cloud pattern. Type STClouds.

THX! Steve

Mylenium
10-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Nope, you can't, especially when using procedurals. You could render some more frames (actually a lot more frames, 150 is way to few), use multiple instances of your image sequence, place them on a timeline in AfterFX or any other compositing/ editing program with overlap and then add a lengthy crossfade transition to it. You could then trim it at a frame where both sequences are equal and show the same frame (see blue markers in attached image). Not perfekt, but if the transition is long enough and at the right position, no one will notice it at first sight. If you are looking for a perfect solution, go out and buy Ozone - looks better, is much faster and allows looping.

Mylenium

Aegis
10-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Set up an envelope to rotate your sky 360 degrees on its heading (although this will make the backgroud clouds move faster than the foreground which may look a little odd...). Alternatively, use an image map instead of a procedural and make it seamless on the X axis. The final way to do it is to render out your sky sequence and do a fade transition between the end and the beginning so it loops - shouldn't look too hokey if you spend some time on it and you may not even notice if the focus of your scene isn't the sky.

Jockomo
10-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure if this can be done with skytracer. But I do know that some proceedurals can be looped. For example our old standard "fractal noise" can be looped. I have done it once before a long time ago, but forget the formula to make it loop.
I'll look around and see if i can find it.

InsomniacZx
10-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to just render out a short animation and use after effects to blend two copys of the animation. I was able to seemlessly loop from begining to end by setting the starting point to -27 frames, and stoping the 2nd video just after it blends. Because I am using this for web, I had to keep the length of the movie short. Anyone can checkout what it came out like :

http://steverigby.com/design/

I am currently working on my portfolio site, and this was my first test. You will have to navigate to the "Illustration" section then click on the outline of the guy holding the megaphone. After he fades in, the animation should fade in. NOTE, it's still in the works and I am working on the rest. If the animation does not show up right way, just keep clicking on the guy until it shows up. I still need to debug it. Also, High bandwith is recommended. its like 2MB

Steve