PDA

View Full Version : Intel D875PBZ

JReble
10-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Anybody have a clue if this MB has a 64 bit PCI slot for the SCSI board? Assuming it does, where would I locate information as to which slot is in fact 64 bit? The docs that come with it and Intel's website don't seem to indicate anything to this effect.

Paul Lara
10-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Judging by the photos found here (http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/article.php/10703_2190511__4), it seems it's only populated with 5 32-bit PCI slots.

JReble
10-17-2003, 05:28 AM
If that's the case would this board still give appropriate performance for VT3 with a single P4 2.8c 800MHz processor, 1 gig of ddr400 dual channel DDR memory and a SCSI array? I see it mentioned as a suitable single proc board all over these boards.

Paul Lara
10-17-2003, 08:23 AM
I would think so. What it lacks in disk bandwidth it more than makes up for in memory bandwidth!

JReble
10-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna give this board a go since I have one available and it will, hopefully, improve things significantly until I can wrench some money from my accounting folks for a dual xeon workstation with the works.

Now for another question, since this board does not have on-board audio....where can I connect the audio cable from my cd/dvd rom drive? Can it attach to the Toaster card like I would to any audio card since the Toaster is acting as the only audio card in this case? I don't seem to locate an appropriate connector so I'm guessing you guys didn't think of that one.

If I can't connect the audio cable from my internal cd/dvd drive, is there any way I can get this analog signal connected to something for output to speakers? Or is there another way around this for the analog cd/dvd drive output? Would I even be able to hear a DVD video playing in this drive? To my understanding CD audio disks will not give you any audio on play unless that analog connector as attached to an audio board. Would this be the case as well with the audio track on a DVD video played from the disk? I know it's not an issue for the data functions, but maybe somebody knows more.

Paul Lara
10-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by JReble
If I can't connect the audio cable from my internal cd/dvd drive, is there any way I can get this analog signal connected to something for output to speakers?

You can probably bring the analog audio leads out and wire them to a quarter-inch phono plug, and hook that into your audio mixer.

JReble
10-22-2003, 07:49 AM
deleted by me

JReble
10-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Ok gave up on connecting the analog outs to my mixer.

I do find that windows media player will show up on the toaster mixer and thus play audio through the toaster card from CD.

The Ulead DVD player also shows up on the toaster mixer and it played audio through the board for about 5 seconds, then went scratchy like digital breakup and cut out while Ulead DVD player kept playin the disk fine, only without audio. What up with this?

I'll try another DVD player app and see what happens.

JReble
10-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Ok got the DVD X Player and it does the same thing.

New update...The analog output does in fact work. It only outputs audio, however when the CD player app is used. The media player does not result in analog out even though it's playing the same tracks. It only reads them as data and thus must play via the audio board, in this case the toaster.

This leads me to the conclusion that the DVD player apps are playing digital data and will not output an analog signal via that connector. Sooooo...How is anybody else playing their DVDs on their Toaster machine???

This is very frustrating!

I'm assuming that the DVD audio will not play correctly because the Toaster card is not 100% compatible, but I'd like any word on this. Does everyone using a DVD drive have a secondary audio card to get audio out on playback?? I am given to understand that a second audio board is not recommended, but if I'm making DVDs, I'd like to be able to hear them upon playback!! WTH???