PDA

View Full Version : Flash MX & LightWave - Any awesome examples???

Mike Pauza
10-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Probably like a lot of people, I've put off creating a website for far too long. Anybody using Flash & LightWave with awesome results that they would care to share?

-Mike Pauza (3dPhysicist)

GruvSyco
10-16-2003, 03:33 PM
I think I read somewhere that Proton uses Flash MX. I know he's used other versions of Flash and has done some pretty cool stuff using it in conjunction with LW. I believe he celshades and then autotraces within Flash.

Here's his stuff that he posted at some time. (I hope you don't mind William)

edit: Hmm... looks like the file didn't upload

GruvSyco
10-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Try them seperately.

MikeMD
10-16-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't know if you consider these to be awesome examples, but they stack up quite well against other flash games.

http://www.deusx.com/baseball

http://www.deusx.com/football ( soccer here in the US )

Character animations had to be limited in order to produce acceptable file sizes for on-line content ( baseball game is around 460K if you load one of the minor league players, a bit more with major leaguers since they have more frames of animation. Football game is around 800K )

GruvSyco
10-16-2003, 03:42 PM
next file

GruvSyco
10-16-2003, 03:44 PM
3rd file

hairy_llama
10-16-2003, 03:45 PM
This is not to "awsome" but its also my first time using flash...
www.dv3productions.com

GruvSyco
10-16-2003, 03:45 PM
last file

Hope these help a little

WilliamVaughan
10-16-2003, 03:51 PM
I'll post some examples when I get a chance...over at cgtalk you can find examples plus the source that I gave away....

WilliamVaughan
10-16-2003, 03:51 PM
oops...I see you posted them... :)

Thanx!:D

TSpyrison
10-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Ya know, a couple tutorials with lightwave and flashMX would be rather nice.. :)

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 04:49 PM
I concure.

WilliamVaughan
10-16-2003, 04:52 PM
If Macromedia sends me the latest version I will do some new tuts...otherwise I will have to do them on Flash MX (Flash 6)

GruvSyco
10-16-2003, 04:56 PM
From what I here, sounds like you wouldn't want MX2004 just yet.

regular old FlashMX would be great I think.

InsomniacZx
10-16-2003, 04:58 PM
http://www.imustcreate.com/

open his site. All the chips were rendered... very clean, simple, and seemless. I my self am working on my portfolio, but am having problems with working with skytracer2 and getting my cloud animation to loop seemlessly.

Mike Pauza
10-17-2003, 10:18 AM
GruvSyco & proton:
Those examples are really interesting! I vote for tutorials as well. Sweet.

hairy_llama:
Wow. That's way more than I would ever want to do with Flash! The possibilities are numbing my brain.

TSpyrison & WizCraker:
:):):)

InsomniacZx:
That link's a heavy download, but exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

Thanks again guys. -Mike Pauza (3DPhysicist)

bern_saint
10-18-2003, 07:31 PM
This is my first time here but you can check my website i'm using Flash mx http://bernard.gmik.org/anime/

Maive
10-23-2003, 03:49 PM
So, I'm getting the impression from this thread, that if I were to create a slightly animated, human model through LightWave, I can use Flash to create an interactive presentation for my model? Like implementing buttons for the user to apply textures or making mouse-controlled camera navigation?

Please say it can be so! :p

WilliamVaughan
10-23-2003, 03:51 PM
correct....check out the flash project that I did were you get to walk the 3d character around in a 2d world...u get to control were he goes :)

Maive
10-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Wow, I'm relieved to hear that! Now, getting started.. >_<"
Very cool stuff proton ^^

I never realized SWF can do camera navigation... hmmm, I've to use an example.

TSpyrison
10-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by proton
correct....check out the flash project that I did were you get to walk the 3d character around in a 2d world...u get to control were he goes :)

I wanna see.. where is it? :)

GruvSyco
10-23-2003, 05:10 PM
It's one of the downloads I posted

FenrirWolf
10-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Those are VERY nice, Proton. I'm curious -- did you use Flash's autotracer and then cut-and-paste the frames into a Flash movie clip?

That's the technique I'm trying out right now. I tried to use Flicker, but so far the output from it hasn't been very impressive. I get better results by rendering a cel-shaded model from LW as a bitmap, load it into Flash and then trace it. But it's time consuming to do for a large number of objects/animations with more than just a few frames.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm real curious as to your methods. :)

GruvSyco
10-23-2003, 06:39 PM
This (http://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=754585&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) might help some. I seem to recall Proton mentioning in one of those threads somewhere that he traces each frame. I don't remember all of the details but I believe he renders cel shaded first.

Maive
10-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Pardon the indiscreet nature of the model I've attached ;p

But you get the picture. The camera rotation around the model(possibly even zooming in and out)... you mean, that can be achieved through Flash? I'm still a bit skeptical about it.

But it is that camera navigation that I am trying to achieve. I believe that person used some sort of programming language to do it, but since I'm most familiar with actionscripting, I highly hope it can be achieved in Flash as my knowledge in programming languages is very minimal..

Maive
10-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Ahhh, never realized it takes so long to upload x_x;;

*edit* Sorry, probs attaching file.. -_-"

FenrirWolf
10-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Everything I've seen, Maive, is static images. In order words, you create an object and then render it from all these different angles and combine them in your Flash file. From there, you pick the angle you want to look at things, either via user interaction (buttons) or programmatically.

For actual realtime rendering of 3d, I know Macromedia's Director can do that.

Thanks, GruvSyco, those were some useful threads.

Maive
10-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks Fenrir, I thought so.

bern_saint
12-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Flash MX & LightWave - Any awesome examples???
- http://bernard.gmik.org/anime/ this is my website but still underconstruction due some over work with lightwave.

Hervé
12-13-2003, 02:54 AM
link no working.....:confused:

lunarcamel
12-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Here's something I did a while back - I'd post the entire demo but I'm too lazy and its huge - so just look at my gallery ;)

The knight character was created in LW and exported as an swf. Pretty simple stuff but I only had a day to make it. At the time it was too tricky to do in Maya but now they have swift3D built in - hopefully Newtek will catch up ;)

http://www.kristiancarey.com/html/pages/int/p_05.htm

bern_saint
12-13-2003, 03:41 PM
It still underconstruction due some lightwave works . Still working out with the external script for my image and AVI.

Hervé
12-14-2003, 01:25 AM
very impressive gallery.... so you are also using Maya..... very nice....

bern_saint
12-14-2003, 01:52 AM
I'm a straight lightwave ever since.

TheAlienGus
12-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Yeah.

a work in progress, a bit of a big project in progress actually. Not even half done, but yeah, Flash MX 2004, lightwave, 3dstudio Max, Photoshop, After Effects all used.

http://www.dephektivparts.com

// I'm working on redoing the Jason: Motion video section right
now. It'll look similar to Jason: Photography Section when done.

Hervé
12-14-2003, 11:54 AM
man that is great !

pauland
12-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, I can see that the website is technically accomplished, but I think it's awfull. Before anyone asks if I can do better, well I've nothing to show.

What I will say is that on my PC (window size 1152 x 864) it's very hard to read the text and I really hate web sites that you have to move the mouse over to see what you can do.

So technically clever - probably. A good example of Flash & web site design, I don't think so.

It's just my opinion and seems rather at odds with the previous posters.

Do I wish I were as technically accomplised as those that made the site? Yes, probably. If I were as technically accomplished, would I go ahead and make it? No.

Paul

TheAlienGus
12-14-2003, 08:39 PM
No offence PaulAnd, but the majority of home PC user have a 800 by 600 screen resolution. Therefore my site is optimized for that.
It states the site is optimized for a 800 by 600 screen resolution on the index AND ipso factiod in the disclaimer, sorry if you may not like that, but this is the way things go. I appriciate the compliments, and the feedback. And i am not meaning to be offensive. But do not say something stinks just because i have a different screen resolution than 65% of all other PC users. Ajust your screen resolution temperaraly, and try it again. Than perhaps you might just say " . . . oh, ok, yeah. That does look better." Anyways, have a good day.

pauland
12-14-2003, 08:55 PM
No offence PaulAnd, but the majority of home PC user have a 800 by 600 screen resolution. Therefore my site is optimized for that.

Very well.

But do not say something stinks just because i have a different screen resolution than 65% of all other PC users. Ajust your screen resolution temperaraly, and try it again.

Well I didn't say it stinks, I just said it was difficullt to read (OK, I guess 'awfull', might rate as 'stinks', but it's awfull because of the combination of small size - on my screen - and hidden text/controls).

I didn't enjoy using the interface enough to make me change resolution to find out more. The style that requires me to wander around in order to read the text labeling, is something that doesn't appeal to me, regardless of screen size.

As you've had plenty of thumbs up for your site, you should be able to accept this lone criticism with grace.

Paul

TheAlienGus
12-14-2003, 09:20 PM
No, No, No. I did accept it with Grace. I did not mean to be offensive towards you. Just saying. Re-adjust you're screen resolution cause that seems to be why you said "awfull"
Awfull, does not come from a difference in resolution.
Awful comes from a lack in creativness and passion.

The text is easy to read with the design centered around 800 by 600, that's all i'm saying. I appriciate your feedback. And i have viewed the site with you resolution, back when all i had working was the main section, it does look awful. The two most used resolutions are 800 by 600 and 1152 x 864. But seeing as how most people use 800 by 600, i decided to go that route. I'm babbling . . .

julos
12-15-2003, 12:28 AM
I just used Lightwave for a flash banner two weeks ago : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/julien.tromeur/lastworks/kings.html

I usually use Plasma (amazing tool), but in some cases Lightwave works just fine.
My Lightwave process : simple modeling, simple shapes, render with cell shader (just one simple shadow), then trace the bitmap in flash, the result is realy light. :)

papa
12-15-2003, 03:58 AM
Not exactly Flash MX, but Director MX + LW, click on 3d view.
There you get proper 3d interactivity - but I had to learn bloody Lingo to make that!
http://www.unindexed.co.uk/panasonic/

retinajoy
12-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by TheAlienGus
Yeah.

a work in progress, a bit of a big project in progress actually. Not even half done, but yeah, Flash MX 2004, lightwave, 3dstudio Max, Photoshop, After Effects all used.

http://www.dephektivparts.com

// I'm working on redoing the Jason: Motion video section right
now. It'll look similar to Jason: Photography Section when done.

I think your site is nice and you are showing some good creative ideas. I think that on the main menu for ease of use, you could have some text/pictures rather than being blank. I am useing screen resolution 1280x1024 and your site is readable to me on a 19inch monitor, but I guess you are aiming for 800x600 to 1024x768 majority crowd anyway.

There is quite a bit of text in your interview section. Maybe you could add a draggable block to your scrollbar, so viewers know how far they are in the text.