PDA

View Full Version : Balloon texture…? How to

AbstractTech3D
12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi There

This would seem simple, but am actually finding the desired result quite illusive…

Am trying to get balloons floating into the sky to look realistic - with reflections / highlights etc…

Can anyone advise on how to get a nice balloon surface?

Thanks!

HolyMonkey-
12-08-2011, 07:54 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mSdukmZnw6Q/TdKFepCiadI/AAAAAAAAACA/3XzrrOFRJgU/s1600/Red%252520Balloon.gif

Start by adding the environment, a sky HDRI would be very nice,

Add a gradient going from White to Black (start - end) and add an invert (math) from the node editor.

Plug the original into reflection, and plug the second one into invert and then into diffuse.

Add a desired color, add a blinn , mess around with the values.

Should have a fairly good balloon texture. Also set some reflection blur on the shader, can be found in environment.

You have to play around some to get the desired results, but as long as you set up a good HDRI, it should suffice. Balloons dont really reflect that much though, depending on the balloon that is.

A good camera setting I learned from expect is to add adaptive sampling and set it to 0,1 and oversample to 0,05 for a sharp and 0,01 for softer. Somewhere inbetween is nice.

AbstractTech3D
12-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Hi HolyMonkey

Thanks - your balloon render looks great.

Can I ask, what is your input to your gradient?

Also, are you connecting the 'desired color' into the blinn? And then the blinn directly into the surface color?

Cheers

HolyMonkey-
12-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi HolyMonkey

Thanks - your balloon render looks great.

Can I ask, what is your input to your gradient?

Also, are you connecting the 'desired color' into the blinn? And then the blinn directly into the surface color?

Cheers

That's not my balloon render although creating a similar effect shouldn't be too hard.

In order to create realistic reflections, you have to copy the fresnel effect. I think it goes something like this. If you stare at a reflective object, it tends to be little reflective where it's directly facing you.

Look at your coffee cup for example. At the front (end) it doesn't reflect much, but at the edges(start) it reflects quite alot.

What I do is add a Gradient, usually go from pure black at end and then pure white at start. Then I make an invert node (math - scalar - Invert) I think. Then, I first plug it directly into the reflection node(the gradient), and then I plug the gradient into the invert node and then into diffuse shading(not color)

Then I check how my reflections look and tweak the black and white color in the gradient to get the desired reflection, now remember to create a good reflection your object needs something to reflect, usually an area light, or a soft box (a plane with 100% lumnosity) will do the trick, just set some blue tinted BG color, and add a floor under your balloon.

The color in the blinn all I do is just change the specular color and plug it into specular.