PDA

View Full Version : VPR Versus GPU

silviotoledo
12-07-2011, 08:16 PM
http://furryball.weebly.com/galleryin.html

it seems nothing beats GPU!

See the realtime hair with dynamics :)

I can't imagina what would happen if VPR would be able to use CUDA and GPUs too.

Hopper
12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I can't imagina what would happen if VPR would be able to use CUDA and GPUs too.
It would probably suck less. :D

OFF
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.randomcontrol.com/newsletter-2011-12-06
Look at the "Draft engine" - 2 minutes..!

Dexter2999
12-07-2011, 10:15 PM
This is the kind of thing I hope Worley is working on.

Richardas
12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Why whe still have no Maxwell GPU render? As they mentioned, problem is small amount of video memory in present video cards, to get complex photoreal renders. Otherwise Cebas in 2012 first quarter will release they hybrid CPU + GPU based Finalrender. GPU will do all raytrace job:D

Dreamcube017
12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Why whe still have no Maxwell GPU render? As they mentioned, problem is small amount of video memory in present video cards, to get complex photoreal renders. Otherwise Cebas in 2012 first quarter will release they hybrid CPU + GPU based Finalrender. GPU will do all raytrace job:D

A lot of GPUs don't have under 512 megs of ram now. Most gaming PCs even have 1+ gig of video RAM. So this should be doable now.

Even blender has a render engine that does this.

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't understand what's so cool about gpu render engines. It only will make your rendernodes a lot more expensive. If the artist sucks the image he renders still sucks it really doesn't matter what kind of chip it's rendered on. However a hybrid system sound nice ;)

Dreamcube017
12-08-2011, 06:27 AM
What's good about GPU is that it's FASTER In some cases A LOT faster. You get a preview of what you're working with much quicker. This is extremely useful when testing out textures and lighting.

I don't know about places with huge ammounts of render nodes, but on a single computer with one ordinary CPU (Q6600 with 2.4 GHz in my case) and one graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 560 Ti with 2 GB of RAM), the GPU enabled rendering moves WAY faster (at least twice as fast if not a bit quicker than that). I've done some tests with Octane and Cycles and the passes just fly by where with the CPU, it starts getting slow at around 500, GPU goes up ijnto the thousands without slowing down.

This is just with a GPU made for GAMING.

That's the advantage.