PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone take a moment, pls

Swifty604
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi, posted the following yesterday - would appreciate a short explanation to this as I've scoured the internet, user manuals and they all seem to skip this bit
The Image Cache Max by default is set to 256 - i believe it has to be in increments of 256. Does this mean that the bigger the number, the shorter the render time or do I understand even less than I think - thanks in advance xx

Andrewstopheles
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I doubt anyone can answer that directly except Newtek devs.
I suspect that increasing the image cache should improve the efficiency of renders if there are a large number of images or textures in your scene, suggesting that it would help improve render times for those scenes, but I can't prove it.

Swifty604
12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated - suggests I'm on the right track at least xx

gerry_g
12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
This is a guess............256 is a square number – 64 - 128 - 256 - 512 -1024 - 2048 etc, this is the same as for most image sampling scenarios, when I bake occlusion the number of samples I enter will follow this formula, Lightwave Eleven image sampling is calculated the same now, so if this is applicable to Cache size the correct value would always be a square route as in 256x2=512, 512x2=1024 as opposed to 256 - 512 - 768 etc (just adding another 256 each time) which is what you seem to be suggesting

Greenlaw
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
My understanding is that the feature does not speed up render times. What it does do is reduce the amount of RAM being used by Layout by storing the least used images in a cache. In fact, if you have a lot of RAM available, you may see a speed improvement by turning this feature off. The tradeoff is that Layout will actually use the extra RAM, which may leave less RAM for other tasks.

For more information see the Layout Manual page 381 under Image Cache.

G.

oobievision
12-09-2011, 11:46 AM
My understanding is that the feature does not speed up render times. What it does do is reduce the amount of RAM being used by Layout by storing the least used images in a cache. In fact, if you have a lot of RAM available, you may see a speed improvement by turning this feature off. The tradeoff is that Layout will actually use the extra RAM, which may leave less RAM for other tasks.

For more information see the Layout Manual page 381 under Image Cache.

G.

lol if you have 16 or 32gigs does it really matter lol

Greenlaw
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't know. At work here I only have about 8 GB and at home I think I only have 6GB.

FWIW, at home I found that enabling this feature could get annoying when the files are moved around to different locations, so I just leave it off. I don't think I'm using it at work either. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the purpose of this feature, I think it's one of those 'if you don't have enough ram and you really need the help, here it is' kind of things. :)

G.

Edit: Just checked my computer at work and, yes, I keep this feature off there too.