PDA

View Full Version : Very Cool LightWave 11 Bullet Test from Italian User

robpowers3d
12-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I wanted to share this very cool video using Bullet Dynamics in LightWave 11 from one of our Italian users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4FLL8a1NU

and here in this thread is the discussion:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=124259

Ryan Roye
12-07-2011, 12:58 PM
What a mess!

... ... ...

I love it!

Darth Mole
12-07-2011, 01:10 PM
But LightWave is old and rubbish - according to the zealots on the modo forum - so how can it possibly do something this cool? Must be a mistake...

speismonqui
12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
But LightWave is old and rubbish - according to the zealots on the modo forum - so how can it possibly do something this cool? Must be a mistake...

yeah. it must be a "recoil" simulation in disguised...

Darth Mole
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I doubt it - I couldn't get recoil to deal with much beyond 20 or so objects before it became unusable! The intention is good but it's a fragile kludgey mess. So far...

vfxwizard
12-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey Rob, didn't expect this, thanks!

And thanks everybody, I'm glad you guys liked that little experiment. I regret not having more free time, as Lightwave 11 is very fun to work with and renders faster than any previous release.

I have just began learning Bullet, so what's really cool is LW 11's ease of use. :thumbsup:

Nicolas Jordan
12-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Looks nice. I hope to have some time to play with this stuff a bit once the trial version of LW11 is out after final release.

Greenlaw
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Must be a mistake...
I wish my mistakes looked that good. :p

Paul_Boland
12-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Just a question I have which folks in the HardCORE forum don't seem bothered to answer... These movies always show an object rolling, bouncing, falling into a collapseable tower. Instead of the object being part of the simulations motion environment, can the object be on a set path that the user had animated it on? For example, can the object be animated to pass through the tower and continue on its path, so that when the physics are played out the object follows its path, passes through the tower causing it collapse with Bullet Physics, and the object keeps on moving on its animated path pushing the falling debris aside?

I would appreciate an answer from someone on this please.

HenrikSkoglund
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Yeah, it's really getting tiresome... all the talk about Lightwave this and that... but the focus tend to shift towards Newtek after the LW11 announcement it seems?

Darth Mole
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Yeah, there seems to be more talk of LightWave than modo these days! I've pretty much given up on modo these days - doubt I'll be upgrading again. LW does everything I need and more...

moremetall
12-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Interesting , think I have to look into bullet this weekend :)

HenrikSkoglund
12-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah, there seems to be more talk of LightWave than modo these days! I've pretty much given up on modo these days - doubt I'll be upgrading again. LW does everything I need and more...

Agreed, and the same goes for me actually. Modo is really fun to work and play with, but the stability issues is more than I can take for certain things. Lightwave feels more stable and makes these problems disappear.

I'm waiting for LW11 to be released as an upgrade for 9.6 owners now...

rcallicotte
12-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Cool. Thanks for letting us see more coolness, Rob.

I agree, Henrik. LW has been more stable for me.

jasonwestmas
12-09-2011, 08:43 AM
If that was easy to do then it must be fun!

Traveler
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
A question if I may. Why is it that we only see (cool) videos from (beta)users and not (or hardly any) from NT itself? Surely NT has it's own group of people doing tests and simulations etc, why can't/don't we see any of that?

I'm still on the fence about buying, but videos like these make me want to think about buying. I need more convincing!!

monovich
12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Surely NT has it's own group of people doing tests and simulations etc, why can't/don't we see any of that?
!

Probably because they are busy coding.

Nicolas Jordan
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
A question if I may. Why is it that we only see (cool) videos from (beta)users and not (or hardly any) from NT itself? Surely NT has it's own group of people doing tests and simulations etc, why can't/don't we see any of that?

I'm still on the fence about buying, but videos like these make me want to think about buying. I need more convincing!!

There are some internal tests show in the LW11 event video from a month ago.

Paul_Boland
12-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I would still like to know can an object on an animated path collide with and affect objects, causing them to fall?

meatycheesyboy
12-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I would still like to know can an object on an animated path collide with and affect objects, causing them to fall?

Here you go Paul, the attached is the least exciting test I could have done but I think it answers your question :)

Paul_Boland
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Here you go Paul, the attached is the least exciting test I could have done but I think it answers your question :)

Thanks fantastic!! Thank you very much.