PDA

View Full Version : Best Place and Format for a WIP?

Surrealist.
12-07-2011, 05:00 AM
I would like to get some feedback on this subject.

Since a work in progress (thread, blog, website etc) goes both ways; helps the creator to get feedback and can also help the others by providing information, I am kind of interested in the latter.

If I am going to put one up on a personal project, I would like some feed back from people as to their experience regarding following works in progress.

Are there some places (forums) you have a tendency to frequent more than others to look for WIP? Do blogs and/or websites provide a better experience as far as getting information? Or do you prefer a place where the information is flowing, even if much of it is buried someplace in a thread pages deep you have to fish for between posts.

It is my feeling that as a provider of a WIP it can be much more organized at a site off of the forums. But the traffic to those sites might be limited and thus feedback less likely. Of course a thread that is posted in a forum that has a link to the WIP could be a solution to that.

Anyways just in general, are there some things you think are worth considering and are there some things you like to see or things you have found useful etc.?

Feedback of any kind on any aspect of this is welcome.:)

meshmaster
12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Why not youtube?... then link to it from the forum?... Like that solution since it's animated so you could go in to perspective view and fly around and record it. Use Cam Studio and you are set. Youtube doesn't like cam studio as an audio codec when there's no sound, but it'll take it anyways. Advantage of youtube is that people that like it might just subscribe so they'll get your feeds in the future if you do more WIPs or show the final work there. If you have enough cpu and gpu power you might even be able to record the whole modelling session. Can't do that on my laptop since it eats too much ram. Take it another level... then and put it in a blog... then link to it from forum, blog, and whatever else.. maybe even get blog set up to auto feed in to face book, twittter, etc... create your own multimedia empire online! :)

Surrealist.
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
lol! Cool. Thanks for the feedback! Some good ideas there. Some I had not really even thought about. Going to get me doing some research.:)

Ryan Roye
12-09-2011, 07:44 AM
If you don't have screen capturing software, a free solution is VirtualDub and you can get some quality screen recordings that way. The only drawback is that its screen capture function is very user unfriendly and clumsily implemented (measuring pixels because nothing is visual, you have to do everything by typing in XY values).

Surrealist.
12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Alright. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it if I find I need a free solution.:)

Greenlaw
12-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I like using YouTube; it's free and certainly gets a lot of traffic. You do need to 'work it' a little to get people to go there but some visitors may send their friends and coworkers too.

When I started using YouTube, I set up two accounts, one for tests, WIP, and random stuff and the second account for finished work. However, the new format they just introduced makes it easy to set up custom playlists on your 'Features' page, so having two accounts may not be necessary. Just make a playlist for WIP and a playlist for finished work. You can click on the Brudders link below to see what I'm talking about.

Visitor feedback can get posted on the individual video pages. I also use the LW forums (there's a WIP and Finished work) to let people know about the YouTube link. BTW if you really want feedback, you should let people know that. A good way is to leave a message stating so at the end of the movie.

Vimeo is another good site for posting WIP and final work. Not as much traffic as YouTube but the traffic they do get tends more to be creative types, art students, and industry people. Also, Vimeo's compression quality seems much better than YouTube's. Vimeo is free too.

G.

Greenlaw
12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Cam Studio, mentioned above by meshmaster, is a good free OpenSource screen recorder. I currently use a commercial program called Camtasia, but I used to use Cam Studio and found it very capable.

You can download it from here:

Cam Studio (http://camstudio.org/)

Good luck!

G.

Surrealist.
12-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the helpful tips. I already have video and social accounts in all the right places pretty much. Just don't use them too much. And I have used cam studio and also find it capable.

What I am looking for mostly - though peer to peer tips are great - is for a user experience kind of thing.

You know, what your feedback is as far as your experience following other WIPs. What sites formats, places you frequent etc. and what things you like or dislike about other WIPs you have followed.

I'll give you my experience. I find that I more often follow work in progress threads at software-centric sites such as here or at other places where I own and am using/learning or sharing tips on specific software. I rarely go to CGtalk or other general sites like that. Though I should more often. But the truth is, I don't.

I find WIP threads as a very poor way to follow the progress because you have to fish though so much chaff to find the OP posts on the progress. They can be interesting and informative however as all is not chaff. Some of the feedback can be quite useful to other people such as myself. So it is a trade off.

However I rarely go to a site that is off the forums and I have never frequented a blog on a WIP to get updates. I have a tendency to stick to the softeware-centric site.

As for youtube it is the worst site for user experience to me. I just don't like thier format at all. I have an account there and have uploaded a few videos.

Vimeo to me is a little better of an experience. I think it is a cleaner interface and a better player all around. I have an account there and use it exclusively for uploading my reels and so on. I rarely use Youtube because as a user I just don't care for it.

I rarely go to vimeo, youtube or any other video sites looking for content. Usually I am directed there.

I do use Google to search for content. If I find there is a video on somone's blog or other site I'll likely choose a video that is on youtube or vimeo because there is a better chance the video will actually play and be more or less hassle free. And even though I don't much care for youtube I'll choose it over another independent website or smaller upstart video content provider.

I never use my Facebook page Twitter nor follow any of the comments that are left there or any place such as Youtube or Vimeo. Just a bad habit. And I don't often if ever leave comments on other people's videos nor expect to have any meaningful interchange at such places.

So as you can see if it were up to me you can probably guess how I would set it up based on my experience. But I am but one voice.

I am interested in what your experiences are and what things you gravitate toward in reality as a follower of WIP and such things. This would help give me a better perspective beyond my own experience and I will try and use this feedback to come up with something I think will be more useful to other people based on some kind of survey of people's actual habits. :)