PDA

View Full Version : Please improve Schematic view

coremi
12-06-2011, 11:42 PM
at least with enable and disable stuff on the right click so we won't have to open properties panels all the time.

meatycheesyboy
12-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Here are my chief complaints/wishlist for the schematic view:
1. Why are cameras the same color as objects and nulls?
2. Why are nulls the same colors as cameras and objects?
3. Why canít things (all over LW) be renamed in place?
4. Why doesnít the schematic view show surfaces and motion modifiers?
5. Why canít we double click on an entity and be taken to its property panel?
6. Why isnít there an auto arrange function?
7. Why don't we have a search/filter area where we can easily find things in a list?
8. Why aren't there visibility toggles to hide things from the schematic view?
9. Why can't the schematic view be ripped out of a viewport?

dulo
12-10-2011, 06:11 AM
7. Why don't we have a search/filter area where we can easily find things in a list?
Autoarrange would be awesome. If you want to use schematic view on a scene already built you get a total chaos with little chance to tidy up. At the moment I mainly use it as a "cheap" viewport. In complex scenes the view of a normal viewport makes the scene editor unusable, but with schematic you still have a chance of manipulating 5000 objects in scene editor..

make schematic more usable !!! its quite a joke at the moment ..

meatycheesyboy
12-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I just finished setting up the schematic view in a scene I'm working on and came up with a few more things I'd like to have changed if possible.

1. Add a grid and allow grid snapping. I'm neurotic and hate seeing non-straight lines.
2. Currently you can multi-select objects but you can't move the multi-selected item as a group and you can't change the color of them all at once.
3. Can we have an option to not display the object file name in the boxes but rather just the layer name?

3dworks
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
+1 for all posted requests... schematic view could be a great workflow enhancement, and if further developed, one day offer a basic 'nodal' approach for scene handling.

dulo
12-10-2011, 06:19 PM
+1 for all posted requests... schematic view could be a great workflow enhancement, and if further developed, one day offer a basic 'nodal' approach for scene handling.

.. and again i think there some really low hanging fruits to pick for newtek in the list above ..
So go newtek get them !!!

meatycheesyboy
12-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Here's a quick mockup I did that shows some of the ideas I had when I made that list. It's just a mashup of different elements from different panels (node editor and scene editor mainly). Hopefully it gets the point across on some of the ideas though.

dulo
12-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Here's a quick mockup I did that shows some of the ideas I had when I made that list. It's just a mashup of different elements from different panels (node editor and scene editor mainly). Hopefully it gets the point across on some of the ideas though.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pavlov
12-12-2011, 08:47 AM
schematic is fundamental for large scenes, it should get a deep revamp. I made several requests in past times, check older threads. Hope NT puts this in its to-do list.

Paolo

coremi
12-15-2011, 09:39 AM
i did too, now i'm hoping someone will make at least some basic minor very needed adjustments to improve workflow. Alignment is very important, and group edit on right click mouse for simple things like lock, display (wire, box, shaded etc...) Some advanced stuff like on the right click to have Surface and under the surfaces of that object and when clicked to open surface editor with the selected surface and so on. I heard about the selection in VPR but this will also be very handy.

GregMalick
12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
1. Why are cameras the same color as objects and nulls?
2. Why are nulls the same colors as cameras and objects?
3. Why canít things (all over LW) be renamed in place?
4. Why doesnít the schematic view show surfaces and motion modifiers?

I suggested using the Schematic as a place to connect motion modifiers at least 5 years ago. It would have kept NT somewhat in the race with AD. I just keep shaking my head - what a shame.

I like your other ideas too.

Pavlov
12-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Autoarrange is somehow there, into "schematic View tools" but it's very limited.
Beside everything other wrote above, which i quote entirely, i also need:

- autosnap to a grid;
- define coordinates where each new object loaded is put. In large scenes items are put at the right side of an imaginary horizontal list of all items, so you have to pan to far right and grab it - i want an option to tell schematic "put new items HERE (and stay silent, and keep eyes down)" :devil:
- Collapse groups of items on same schematic position, or hide them in "group" entity which can be expanded at need.
- Change multiple item's color at once (this is valide for every other Lw area)

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=35814&highlight=schematic+view

bye
Paolo

GregMalick
12-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Autoarrange is somehow there, into "schematic View tools" but it's very limited.
Beside everything other wrote above, which i quote entirely, i also need:

- autosnap to a grid;
- define coordinates where each new object loaded is put. In large scenes items are put at the right side of an imaginary horizontal list of all items, so you have to pan to far right and grab it - i want an option to tell schematic "put new items HERE (and stay silent, and keep eyes down)" :devil:
- Collapse groups of items on same schematic position, or hide them in "group" entity which can be expanded at need.
- Change multiple item's color at once (this is valide for every other Lw area)

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=35814&highlight=schematic+view

bye
Paolo

Pavlov - your post beat me by a year!
Of course, my post was about motion modifiers :tongue:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=51528&highlight=schematic

I guess the lack of response to my post resulted in being ignored.
...sigh...

Greenlaw
12-15-2011, 06:53 PM
I would be happy if I could group nodes, hide them, and collapse selected branches in Schematic View.

Another nice feature would be the ability to save and load layouts for selected hierarchies. Currently, Lightwave can preserve schematic layouts for items imported through Load From Scene but you can't save and load just the schematic layout and apply it to items with the same name. Once there was a third party plug-in called X-Schema that did just that but I started having trouble with it a while back and stopped using it. (Haven't tried it lately though.)

Despite obvious shortcomings, I still find Schematic View very useful though and use it almost every day I use Lightwave.

G.

meatycheesyboy
12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Despite obvious shortcomings, I still find Schematic View very useful though and use it almost every day I use Lightwave.

So do I, which is why when NT does start to update the schematic view I hope they do so in a thoughtful manner that opens up new ways to use the schematic view but that doesn't inadvertently change what is useful for with it now. Namely, a fast, interactive way to very quickly understand a scene with wading through the minutia of the underlying data.

I think, actually, that basically sums up my hopes for the entire app, not just the schematic view. Give control to those that want/need more control but don't change the ease of entry/understanding that is present currently. :)

Greenlaw
12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
+1 :)

dulo
12-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Schematic view has a lot of potential which is to be unleashed in the next release !!!!
;-) i hope so .. maybe ..

Dexter2999
12-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Maybe have the color code of the Schematic view set to reflect the colors assigned in the Scene Editor? Or at least have that an option?

meatycheesyboy
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Maybe have the color code of the Schematic view set to reflect the colors assigned in the Scene Editor? Or at least have that an option?

Absolutely, it drives me batty that the schematic view, scene editor, current item list, graph editor, and dope sheet all overlap information yet none of them seem to talk to each other.

biliousfrog
01-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I've asked for a number of features to be added to schematic in the past.

What I'd like most is to be able to group and collapse items that are parented or place items into selection groups.

I'd also like a different way of parenting objects as I'm so used to CTRL-Click being add/remove from selection, I usually screw up a scene at least once by parenting objects when I really wanted to select them.

It would be great if new items appeared relative the the currently selected item or at a fixed co-ordinate or in a designated area rather than a zillion pixels to the right...where you have to zoom out so far to find it that it's barely visible on screen.

Those are just simple things I'd like to see, as well as some of the suggestions already made like better colours. Ultimately I'd like to see it evolve into a full nodal interface for everything from surfaces to instances and more...but it will be a long wait for that.

rikka+
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Hello, +1 for grouping items.
It would be great a schematic grouping system similar to Nuke, just bigger squares were you can put single elements and manage them all together.

Waves of light
01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Absolutely, it drives me batty that the schematic view, scene editor, current item list, graph editor, and dope sheet all overlap information yet none of them seem to talk to each other.

+1 (and for most of the other requests on here) especially when it comes to character animation and bones.

starbase1
01-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I agree with just about everything here - schematic view could be a real asset, and it's hard to see how improving it would be a big effort.

It gets really boring when you end up endlessly panning to the right and dragging the boxes back one at a time!

And linking a schematic object to it's properties is a simple awesome idea. (I don't just mean that literally - right click and choose between object:properties, graph editor for that item, surfaces for that item, motion options for that item would be logical, easy to use, and a great time saver.

Matt
01-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Agreed, should just be made a node editor.

Matt
01-13-2012, 01:27 AM

They are the colour of items in the scene editor, unless I'm missing something.

Pavlov
01-13-2012, 06:26 AM
hey matt, nice to see you here. Hope Schematic revamp fits in next update ;)