PDA

View Full Version : My first logo

Shnoze Shmon
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
This is the first logo I've done.

More important than showing off my work are these 2 questions for experienced artist.

1. How much time would you expect to spend making this?

2. How much would you expect to be paid for it?

Your answers will be of great benefit.

Logo animation (http://vimeo.com/33238178)

OnlineRender
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
1. about 1 hour tops "including render time "

2. not that much ....

your blues clash with the black and logo seems to get lost ,and you would be better just having the light hit it rather than the SWISH Start thingy ...

Dexter2999
12-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Good job.

If I was to do something like this, I would say a day for modeling and animation. Perhaps a few more hours for lighting.

How much? $500 minimum.

OnlineRender
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
TEST http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSHZNJHD100 I done that in 40 minutes including render ,while working on stuff , so yeah a day tops if your spending time getting it correct . not showboating here just seeing how long it would take .

Shnoze Shmon
12-06-2011, 05:34 PM
@ online render

Thank you for the effort you put into your response!

I appreciate the critique, however, my client really likes what I did.

The animation took me close to 4 hours. A large chunk of that was editing the text mesh (mainly the front face) to eliminate all relics from smoothing and lighting. Also, trial and error on lighting and the background image for the effect I wanted.

Working on the background image was a learning experience. The mountain lake scene I started with that didn't work and the Star Trek image by TLW Digital Imagery that did taught me a lot about looking at the overall composition for a reflected image.

@ Dexter

Thank you for your sarcasm, I got a good laugh! Unfortunately I am not asking this in an effort to convince my client for more pay, but if I ever need any help doing so, I will seek your assistance.:thumbsup:

The reason I am asking is for personal evaluation and an idea of the value of the logo animation market.

OnlineRender
12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I dont think Dexter was being sarcastic , I think he meant $500 ... text can be a funny one . I would eps file and extrude the text then bevel it tbh , but sometimes text goes straight into LW no problems

Nicolas Jordan
12-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree that a logo animation of that nature should cost at least $500 and even more if you actually had to do any design work. If you undercharge you will never be able to dig yourself out of that hole especially with the same client.

Shnoze Shmon
12-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks all for your responses!
Ok, so $500 is a realistic asking price.
I think I need to know a range of hourly rates yall charge as well.

@ Dexter

Is your time estimate what you would give your client? I interpreted your response based on how long it actually took me, and I know my skill and speed are still low.
A consultant engineer imparted some fatherly advice and told me a rule of thumb on estimating the time to do anything is to add half to your estimate and you'll usually be right on. Is this kind of thinking in your time estimate? I'm interested in the your thoughts behind the time you gave.

@ Online

Didn't know what eps was. Looked it up. Seems like a very useful tool. Thanks!
However, I'm curious how this would help with strait line text as opposed to just using the text tool? Just fyi the font is microgramma.

@ Nicolas

If you undercharge you will never be able to dig yourself out of that hole especially with the same client.
Do you find yourself walking away from small jobs like this very often because the client is insisting on a lower price?
How do you determine when you'll go lower and what the bottom line is going to be?

brunopeixoto
12-07-2011, 11:28 AM
1 - hourly rates it's a good starting point, but it depends on how proficient you are - if you do more in less time your price goes up.

2 - Is there some risk involved in the job - the prices goes up.

3 - Where the job will be presented - high audiences - the price goes... up.

4- maybe your client reserved certain amount for the job, then do the job on these basis.