PDA

View Full Version : Razor Naga / Multi-Button Mouse - Compatible with LW?

akaracquel
12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm researching for a multi-button mouse to start assigning some LW shortcuts over to my mouse hand. Have my eyes on this model atm:

Razer Naga Molten (http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.219936100)

I don't know much about World of Warcraft or these mice being used for gaming specifically, so i don't know if it's possible to assign LW shortcuts to the extra buttons with this particular model. Has anyone got one that works ok with LW? Or can recommend another multi-button model that can do the job?

nickdigital
12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
My first impression is that this mouse is for games. It would be cool to map shortcut keys to the buttons but I think the SpaceNavigator is the only "special" mouse that is supported by LW.

Richardas
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
X-mouse Button control is small, but powerful app, that allows you to map your mouse for any desired shortcuts!!!

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

Love it!:thumbsup:

wrench
12-06-2011, 02:31 AM
I have a Logitech Performance MX that has extra buttons and the SetPoint software allows me to assign them on a program-by-program basis. I am sure that the Razer mouse is the same. At that point you just assign keyboard shortcuts to functions in Modeler, and then assign those keyboard shortcuts to buttons on the mouse. In fact, I know that one of the LightWave development team uses a Naga...

B

COBRASoft
12-06-2011, 02:37 AM
I guess it should work if you can map shortcut keys to the buttons. I have a Logitech MX 1000. This mouse has several extra buttons and each can be mapped. Deselect at my thumb, never thought it would be that easy :).

COBRASoft
12-06-2011, 02:38 AM
^^ Ok, what Wrench said :D.

wrench
12-06-2011, 02:54 AM
I use exactly the same, the Back button for Deselect, the forwards button for Select Loop and the other buttons change depending on what I'm doing. I didn't assign any for Layout, but come 11 I will be... ;)

B

Richardas
12-06-2011, 05:01 AM
I use Logitech wireless Mouse M705. SetPoint is heavy limited, so i dont use it. I use X-mouse. It's a 9 functions * 5 layers = 45 keyboard shortcuts!:D
How about zoom in-out with mouse wheel in modeler? No problem:thumbsup:

Rabbitpenny
12-06-2011, 06:35 AM
I don't know if this is a hijacking, but I'll say my piece anyway. I use use a game pad in the keft hand and a mouse or stylus in the right.

Attached is a sample of level one (three levels) of my set up for organic modeling. Use the keyboard mostlyfor labeling/titling. On the other two levels are other operations and some commonly used duplicates. I wish there were a couple more keys (I'd like expand selec/reduce selec on level one)...but I wouldn't part with it.

There are other set ups that I have. One for layout. One for animation. Photoshop... Each set up (not to be confused with levels which are switched on the pad instantly) is accessed by two clicks on the screen.

The most complicated custom macro can be created in seconds on the fly. Actually I save a couple of buttons on level three of each setup for just that ( for special setups requiring repetitive tasks).

A veteran will, rightfully so, scoff at this idea. Because they know their system so well. A relative novice might consider it. I took LW out of the package a few years back and said "holy crap". Then set up the game pad.

akaracquel
12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the fantastic feedback & input everyone :thumbsup: Was initially feeling nervous because my son will also need one. No harm in just trying one to test for now - then explore the other alternatives mentioned above if the naga doesn't pan out, as access to 5x9=45 would still be awesome :)

Seeing how others have assigned that deselect thingie made me laugh ..autopilot muscle memory in my mouse hand started :cursin: at the grey space area click instead of the new shortcut I assigned last week, so I'm greatly appreciating the sense of urgency for change it inspired :D

Naga jumped at me louder than the 3Dconnexion ones which I felt would have more appeal when i reach the point of spending most of my time in layout. Can see myself with something like your Belkin later on Rabbitpenny. Thanks for sharing a visual, it helped me see what sorts of functions I will need to keep an eye out for.

Feeling excited by seeing my primary connection to the computer needing an upgrade. It's a strange but pleasant sensation. Makes me aware that my computer functions a lot like a prosthetic limb, during the times we have a major power outage especially. Conceptualising the mouse upgrade ...reminds me of the work by Stelarc during the late 90s. Makes me wonder if our brains will ever have a direct wireless link some day.

wrench
12-08-2011, 03:10 AM
The Space Navigator/Explorer is really an add-on to a mouse, you can't control LightWave at all using a 3D mouse on its own, and tbh, I never use mine in Modeler, it's faster to have your left hand on the keyboard.

Have phun!

B

Lewis
12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Here is my Logitech mouse buttons setup for modeler. I carry my own mouse wherever i go to model, can't work efficient anymore without that setup, it's dozens of times faster than without that ;).

akaracquel
12-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Enjoyed seeing your setup the other day a lot Lewis - thank you for sharing it! :thumbsup:

Pleased to report the nagas arrived today :) My son beat me to it with the installation of his one. His first macro was effortless, he reports the mouse is a whole lot better in response rate & precision compared to the olde mouse. Thrilled to see my one is working just fine with LW too so far!

What my setup looks like on all the 12 side buttons atm:

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/150/mouse03.jpg

Feels good to hax some big IMBA with that de-select thingie now :D Looking forward to it's evolution in function with time.

Ergonomics of the naga - perfect for my hand. Size-wise, it feels the same as all the standard mice i've ever owned. Thumb access to all 12 side buttons work really well for me, but i get the feeling their spacing could be a challenge for all the guitar/bass playing blokes in my family who've struggled with the strings on my violin.

Won't bore you guyz with the dimensions of my hand, but if anyone else taking the naga path needs a sizing reference, i'm happy to share the details if needed.

Thanks again for the feedback & input everyone :thumbsup: ;)

Danner
12-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Wow Lewis I had the same mouse with almost the same shortcuts! I now use a tablet and completely remapped all shortcuts in modeler so the most often used things are right under my fingertips and with no modifier key.

For example W welds (instead of ctrl-W wich is now mapped to what W used to be since I have the statistics window permanently open I don't use ctrl-W much).

I have tweaked it so much that I'm paranoid about losing the configuration. So I sent myself a backup config via mail. :)