PDA

View Full Version : pipes.

baffero
10-16-2003, 11:57 AM
hello all

for a school project im modelling an exhaust system. Im working with lightwave for a few months now, but am still looking for a way to model pipes. I can create a basic pipe shape by using the disc tool in combination with the extrude function, and then making the pipe hollow, with bolean substraction.

I want to make good looking bends in pipes. What is the most common way in doing this??

thanks a lot.

cagey5
10-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Try drawing the curve you need in a background layer. Make a disk in the foreground layer and align it to the end of the background curve, making sure you rotate it so it the line looks as though it's about to pierce the centre of the disk.
Go to the multiply tab and click on 'rail extrude'. You may need to flip the poly's that are generated.
After that go and play with the settings and see what 'uniform knots' etc does for you and don't start with too many points in the curve.

baffero
10-16-2003, 01:18 PM
thanks, this already works.

now im trying to make the pipe hollow.
I tried making another pipes (along the same curve) that fits in, and tried via bolean substraction: but I cant get this right...

munky
10-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Don't forget to pull the ends of the inner pipe out a little and the method you have tried is the best way to do it and should work the example below is the same method with no tweeking and took two minutes. If your pipe is too complex do it in sections and put it together after or if you only need to imply that the pipe is hollow just use bevel on the end of the pipe to create the thickness and the hollow but just a smallway in so it looks hollow

hope this helps

regards

paul

munky
10-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Don't forget to pull the ends of the inner pipe out a little and the method you have tried is the best way to do it and should work the example below is the same method with no tweeking and took two minutes. If your pipe is too complex do it in sections and put it together after or if you only need to imply that the pipe is hollow just use bevel on the end of the pipe to create the thickness and the hollow but just a smallway in so it looks hollow

hope this helps

regards

paul

Suede
10-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Sorry, my bad English didn't make me understand that it was already said. :( until to late

pauland
10-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by baffero
thanks, this already works.

now im trying to make the pipe hollow.
I tried making another pipes (along the same curve) that fits in, and tried via bolean substraction: but I cant get this right...

Extrude two discs along the same path, one disc should be smaller than the other, the smaller disc should be selected and have it's polygons flipped. Join the ends together so you have the thickness of the pipe. now you have a real pipe, though much of the internal pipe might never be seen.

Paul

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Or you just spline the first disc then copy flip past delete end discs weld end points and you have a hollowed pipe. Also I think the thickinner plugin should be able to do it for you to.

bloontz
10-16-2003, 05:21 PM
It's very easy with thickener, just rail extrude, delete the ends and apply thickener and you're done.

munky
10-17-2003, 01:37 AM
here is the example that should have been attached

paul

baffero
10-17-2003, 02:33 AM
for some reason im getting the following message

what am i doing wrong

BeeVee
10-17-2003, 02:49 AM
It looks from your picture as though you have already extrude your disc a little way and are trying to extrude it again along the curve. Just work with the disc on its own, not the extruded shape you have.

B

baffero
10-17-2003, 03:32 AM
it worked..Thanks a lot

BeeVee
10-17-2003, 03:48 AM
No problem, it still doesn't look quite right though - you have some kind of pinching on the end poly and the end of the tube. When you made your boolean for the O shape, how did you do it?

B

baffero
10-17-2003, 04:18 AM
i first drawed some points in a background layer and made and made an open curve with these points.

Tnen switching back to the foreground layer , making a disc, consisting out of one polygon. Then moving and rotating this in the right position and then useing the rail extrude tool. In another level making a slightly smaller disc, also extruding this along the same rail. Then I made this inner pipe longer by using the bevel on both ends. Then using bolean substract and this i sthe result.

I see what you mean, the pinching , are the darker parts in my image right?

baffero
10-17-2003, 04:20 AM
I also see that my inner pipe is not completely centred.....how can I get this right.

thanx in advance

munky
10-17-2003, 05:52 AM
Baffero

below is a lwo file that has the stages you need (as layers) to do your pipes

You might be getting pinching because you have smoothing on which means that you should cut the ends of the pipe and repaste them back in to get a sharp edge

regards

paul

baffero
10-17-2003, 07:41 AM
ok the smoothing put off did the trick....

thanks for the help