PDA

View Full Version : Culling of orphaned UVs

Adrian Lopez
10-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Try this in Modeler 7.5:[list=1] Create a ball.
In polygon mode, select a single polygon.
Make a UV map containing only the selected polygon.
Unweld.
Move the selected polygon away from its current position in the UV viewport.
[/list=1]You'll notice that unwelding created a set of twelve orphaned points in the UV viewport. These UV points belong to the polygons surrounding the selected polygon and should not be part of the UV map (because the polygons they belong to aren't mapped, so they're orphans in UV space). Modeler should prevent these extra vertices from being incorporated into the UV map after unwelding points.

Chingis
10-16-2003, 02:26 PM
I have a better idea... how about totally eliminating the need to unweld for UV mapping. Every polygon should have its own individual UV set. Unwelding is devinately one of the more annoying aspects of texture mapping in LW.

Adrian Lopez
10-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Chingis
I have a better idea... how about totally eliminating the need to unweld for UV mapping.Indeed, I have argued before that point merging and unwelding in model space should be separate from point merging and unwelding in UV space. I should be able to weld and unweld UV points without welding or unwelding the mesh itself.

Lightwave could really use a larger set of UV tools, the most important being "merge UVs", "unweld UVs" and "sew UVs".

Adrian Lopez
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Here's another quirk in Modeler's handling of UVs:
Create a ball.
Select a 3x3 group of contiguous polygons.
Unselect the polygon that lies in the middle of the group.
Make a UV map containing the selected polygons.
You'll notice that the middle polygon is added to the UV map despite that it's not selected when the UV map is created. It's possible to eliminate the middle polygon from the UV map by unwelding it and selecting "Clear Map", but merging points causes the polygon to be added back to the UV map.