PDA

View Full Version : Black Blotches for an animation

HolyMonkey-
12-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Hey there, having a small issue here although I see a connection.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1139/blotchies.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/blotchies.jpg/)

Here are a pic of the settings and some more information.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3180/radiosityproblem.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/522/radiosityproblem.jpg/)

The left side of the pictures with black blotches also have these settings

- No subdivisions (Can it have anythingt to do with the texture being set to subdivision? even though subs are off?)
- Have surfaces with reflection blur and HDRI map attatched to it.

The right side of the picture which are black blotch free also has these settings

- Subdivisions active
- Have surfaces with reflection blur and HDRI map attatched to it.

My question to you, how do I get rid of the blotches in the film sequences above? The reason I have different settings is because unless I buff it down, the rendertimes are enormus. Talking 50-120hours. The blotch free ones expose less detail thus having higher setting and ones usually render out in 5-10 hour 300-400 frames pr camera view.

With the lower settings I managed to render out the blotched ones in 16-20 hours, which is too much if you ask me.

Would be nice for some tip and advice on how to lower the render time. Aswell as how to fix the damn ugly chrome on the screws.... **** looks like plastic heh...

Cheerio!

Dexter2999
12-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Are you using Spotlights? Because I think those are the only things that use Shadowmaps which I see you have checked. I see you also have double sided area lights checked. Area lights give nice shadows but are more render intensive, especially if you have more than one.

I can't look at your info anymore as it is too tiny and killing my eyes.

HolyMonkey-
12-05-2011, 04:53 AM
Apparently some text dissappeared in my first post, the lower image on the first picture are blotch free with high render settings the blotched images are lower render settings.

@Dexter2999 Doesn't work to click the image to view it bigger? hmm

anyway here's my setting

Blotch

IB 2
RPE - 150
SBR - 7
Angular 45
MM 4
MX 40

No blotches but takes long time

Yes I am using spotlights, but onyl 1 of the spotlights has shadow activated, the other two are turned off. Not a single sided area light in there hmm... maybe I should turn it off.

HolyMonkey-
12-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Shameless self bump, but I obviously lowering the render settings caused the problem so I guess the solution to my problems would be to up the render settings but somehow optimizing it, currently I got 3 lights in my scene so I'll check out a few of them see if it helps.

Anyone see any optimization oppertunities for my scene?

raw-m
12-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Here's a tip I picked up from one of Tobian's tutorials. In the Surface Editor/Environment, knock down the Reflection Samples on reflection and refraction (if you're using it) to from the default 8 to 1. Might help.

HolyMonkey-
12-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I noticed the blotches only occure when the object itself is moving, as long as the camera is the only thing moving then it's fine. Render settings doesn't seem to affect it any. I tried rendering it out with higher settings, didn't do much good at all.

Anyone know how to approach this? Quite an annoying problem. Using LW 9,5.

Dexter2999
12-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Your object moves and you see blotches?

Sounds like a texturing issue. But I don't know. You are using a UV map?

HolyMonkey-
12-11-2011, 01:59 AM

That is exactly what I am doing, the only object that is moving is in fact the only object that has a texture map.

I set the UV texture to subdivisions, although I am not sure during that animation frame the subd is on.

You know how I can fix this texturing issue? I'll give you my scene if that can help you out.

HolyMonkey-
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM

You helped me fix it, although not optimal. I went to modeller, set the UV texture from subdivisons to linear, and took off subdivisions of my modell, and it worked.

However, I really want to be able to render with textures on and subd on in the future, how can you overcome this?