PDA

View Full Version : An alternative to PasteSelected on mac.

rikka+
12-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Hello all, :)
a quick question..i've made a search but i didn't find an answer, there's an alternative for mac for the Pictrix's plug in Paste Selected (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/PasteSel/)? Because when i copy a poligon and paste it, the geometry duplicate (image attached)

I found this plug in really useful and i would like to use it on the mac too.
Thanks

rsfd
12-04-2011, 08:49 AM
as it's a Lscript, it *should* work on the Mac too (and it seems to work on Mac).
Haven't tried it, but according to the Pictrix page, I tend to think that you don't use it as it is intended.
Usually, if you copy a selection in Modeler and paste it back in (the same layer), your original selection stays selected, making it hard to select the pasted geometry to move it away.
The Pictrix script seems to fix this by selecting the pasted geometry after pasting.
I don't think it is meant to paste the copied geometry into a new layer, as this would work easily with Modeler's default toolset.

[edit]
just downloaded and tried it, doesn't work for me here neither on 9.6, 9.6.1 nor on 10.1. (different errors in line 1).
sorry, don't know of an alternative plugin/script.
Just copy - paste into new layer - move - cut - paste back into original layer :(

raw-m
12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=701fc60c

An good?

rsfd
12-04-2011, 12:45 PM
:thumbsup: raw-m, thanks!

Works like the Pictrix script (and does work in Modeler10.1 Mac).

wrench
12-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Or use the built-in Paste Tool?

B

evenflcw
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
ef_Duplicate doesn't work like Pictrix PasteSel! I specifically intended for it not to. But this does:
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=d7f79b14

I experienced the same issues of double pasting with Pictrixs script in LW10.1(32bit) on Win7(64bit). I also noticed it didn't handle reselection well when multiple layers were in the foreground. Given that, I felt it was ok to release my own version. (I usually prefer to not release unless I can offer something new, improved or different).

Please, do test and comment! I'm still not sure if the method used for handling multiple foreground layers is 100% (I'm making an assumption how Modeler pastes geometry, that assumption might yet prove to be wrong), nor am I sure that selection modes are switched to accordingly (this requires hacks in lscript).

3dworks
12-05-2011, 02:27 AM
ahhh very useful, thanks dan! that's a longtime missing tool. will try this in the next sessions...

rikka+
12-05-2011, 02:59 AM
Thanks all for answering!

Evenflcw thank you so much, is what i needed. :beerchug:
I think this is a must have plugin on Mac for smooth workflow!

Danner
12-05-2011, 07:18 AM
If multiple layers are selected ef_Duplicate can do unexpected things so I try to only use it on one layer at a time. Even with this limitation I use it all the time. So much faster than the old "move-copy-undo-paste-select" workflow.

evenflcw
12-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the comments and the report. I've updated ef_Duplicate to better handle multiple layers (hopefully).

Question 1. For PasteAsSelected I made it so reselection was additive. Meaning you would have to deselect manually if you didn't want to keep your previous selection. I'm now thinking this was a bad move. Usually you'll have the move tool active, so deselecting means dropping that tool (unless you got a script for deslecting). THis feels rather cumbersome t me if you're pasting and moving one clone at a time. Should I change it so all you'll have selected when the operation finishes is the pasted geometry?

Question 2. There might be a way to make a cut-copy-paste combo that pastes all geometry into their respective original layer. Would that be interesting or just a waste of time? Should that be the default? (One might perhaps need to write this in C instead for the added performance).

evenflcw
12-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I've made updates to ef_PasteAsSelected and ef_Duplicate. http://people.dsv.su.se/~dan-dulb/evenflow3d/index.php

Two bugs squashed (hopefully) in both scripts. In PasteAsSelected I've reworked the selections. There are now two versions provided. The "Basic" version clears any previous selection, so only the pasted elements will be selected. This is what I suppose most people expect and prefer most of the time. And the "Additive" version which adds the pasted elements to any preexisting selection.

So strike Question 1.

raw-m
12-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Very much appreciate, evenflcw :thumbsup: