PDA

View Full Version : Object Layers as SEPARATE Objects?

DrStrik9
12-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I've been using LW off and on for many years, and I've never encountered this since pre-7.0 if my memory serves.

I model a simple object, with three layers.

I load the object in Layout (10.1), and ONLY the FIRST layer comes into Layout. In order to get all three layers into Layout, I have to load each separate layer individually, and then Layout thinks there are THREE objects. :-(

The only workaround I've found so far is to put all three layers on the SAME layer. But that's not a great solution.

What am I missing? Thanks

Mac Intel Quad Core LW 10.1 Mac 64

nickdigital
12-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Is the eyeball disabled in the Layers panel in Modeler on layers 2 and 3 of your object?

Dexter2999
12-03-2011, 02:07 PM
If you load one object with three layers it should load all three layers. But it will still see them as separate objects.

Are you using Load Object, or Load Object Layer?

evenflcw
12-03-2011, 02:15 PM
If you added layers after loading the LWO into Layout, then it will not automatically load the new layers. As Dexter said, Layout considers each layer a separate object.

Ie an LWO is not an object, but an object container(!), meaning it holds multiple objects. The term layer in Modeler is thus abit of a misnomer.

Newtek has needed to rethink and rework the Lightwave nomenclature and terminology for ages. Here's hoping they put down the time to do it for LW11/LW12. It won't add features but it will make more sense of what is already there.

DrStrik9
12-03-2011, 03:16 PM
All good questions - thank you. Nope, all "eyeballs" for the three layers were on, before I ever loaded the object into Layout. And I only used "Load Object Layer" AFTER the entire object didn't load.

Weird, huh? It's driving me crazy.

Dexter2999
12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Did you happen to delete layers in the scene previously? Because those layers won't update unless you do it manually. Did you try loading the OBJ into a new scene? Did it still only load by layer?

DrStrik9
12-03-2011, 03:42 PM
None of the multi-layer hierarchy from Modeler survives either, since Layout only will load one layer at a time, no matter how many layers are in the object. :-(

DrStrik9
12-03-2011, 03:43 PM
What I'm going to do is reconstruct the scene, and hope that helps this very strange problem.

Markc
12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Have you tried sending object from modeler, rather than loading it in layout?

evenflcw
12-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmmm... restating the original question... I'd say your missing a Windows system!

Kidding aside. This seems very odd. Never had this happen or remember reading of anything like it (, ie Layout not loading all layers of an LWO when all were set as visible).

DrStrik9
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Hmmm... restating the original question... I'd say your missing a Windows system!

Hahahaaaa! :D Good one.

I think it was a corrupted scene file. Everything's workin' like normal now.