PDA

View Full Version : motionmixer - workflows tuts

tyrot
12-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I know "our" motionmixer is very confusing then others. So we need lots of workflows, issues..

3DThunder posted a while ago tutorials on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojMR1WFICY

I watched today all of them .thanks mate . i really loved your tutorials because i made the same mistakes many many times as you shown there and gave up using motionmixer.

Also bugzilla posted this a while ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bsuK2iduoc&feature=related

Cant we use MOCAP data (from any format) and characters and motionmix them within Lightwave happily.

I mean we see the power of motionmixer but why it really needs all that offset data information?

Please if you have other motionmixer related tutorials, workflows (mocap + IKBoost related for example) please post here.

Thanks ...

WilliamVaughan
12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I created a mm video that is still on the FTP with the other videos that might be useful.

Ryan Roye
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
The only tutorials i've ever seen on motion mixer are from Mr. Vaughn and Bugzilla too.

For using mocap data, I'm not sure if this would solve the issue but in the past i've just put the entire animation into motion mixer and then mix it with other motions as needed. I have a fairly developed workflow of MM and IKbooster, so if I make any tutorial videos I'll post it here later for critique and refinement. Motion mixer is an extremely powerful tool... just need to get past the learning curve (the workflow mainly) and the few quirks.

monovich
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I both love and hate motion mixer because sometimes it works great, and sometimes I kill my entire scene with it.

What I've started doing instead sometime is using Node Item Motion to mix my motions.

tyrot
12-03-2011, 04:25 AM
hey chaz
please please share your workflow...

motivalex
12-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Motionmixer has a lot of potential. I hope it will get some love and attention (LW11?). Tried using it on a project animating pages on a flying book but it disliked the SplineControl displacement tool.

Ryan Roye
12-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Because I expect to have to explain my Motion Mixer workflow to someone else, I actually spent a day to make up this tutorial. I've made dozens videos in a similar style, but this is actually the first technical tutorial that i've ever done and it was quite challenging. I'm no William Vaughn, but it might point out ideas that some may not have considered before. This video is meant for people who know how to use motion mixer to a degree, but want to move their characters around in 3d space with it. I encourage critical commentary on the video as I might make more tutorials in the future... one day I'd like to put some time into making an IKbooster workflow example video especially.

What I don't explain in this video are a few other notes I thought would just complicate things:

1) You cannot use IKbooster with motion mixer unless you de-activate the motion modifier on each bone... I use a plugin to accomplish this quickly. I felt crippled moving stuff normally during this tutorial, heh... I'm so addicted to IKbooster its rediculous, I wish all animation functions were just "1-click-drag" movements.

2) If your character's upper body is driven by nulls, you have to use the "marker trick" for those nulls as well. Note that the "CHAR" setting mentioned also will need to be used on these nulls.

3) Things like turning and similar actions can be automated too... in fact, a walk forward animation combined with two 90 degree turning animations would essentially allow your character to walk anywhere laterally in 3d space. I just wanted to show that you can indeed put in custom, 1-time use stuff in motion mixer as well.

4) I didn't bother going over setup or how to mix two motions together... we already have excellent tutorials out there for that.

View the Tanadrine Studios Motion Mixer Tutorial here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3zLvhWIiZs)