PDA

View Full Version : stop my poly chain from stretching?

jlp.media
12-01-2011, 08:40 AM
i have clothFX applied to a 2pt poly chain that is Fixed on both ends. Even though the 'stretch limit' is set to 0% i can still see areas that stretch when I animate those end points. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to gently persuade LW that the 2pt poly is a rein(thick leather)

RebelHill
12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah, for some reason setting stretch to 0 wont actually prevent things from stretching at all... or rather, itll turn down, but never eliminate stretching.

To rein it in a bit more you'll want to work on turning up settings like viscosity, hold structure, and you can also use the poly size option to make cloth fx shrink the whole thing a bit, make it a bit tighter.

jlp.media
12-01-2011, 10:34 AM
This was probably my first legitimate attempt at working with dynamics, so i expected there to be somewhat of a steep learning curve.
What I ended up doing was turning the weight of Reins down (.2)from 1-5 and decreasing the gravity(-9.6m) from -2, it was only then did it start to act more like rope.
I suppose my logic of it being a heavy piece of leather did not validate my higher Weight settings....thanks for your input.

cagey5
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
You'll also notice that a setting of 0.01 greatly reduces stretching compared to a value of 0

jlp.media
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM
haha, the only thing i noticed when i changed it to 0.01 was that my 2 point poly chain disappeared off the screen.

Surrealist.
12-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Also keep in mind that those structure settings can be set insanely high. I have found good results with keeping spring and structure at the same level. Yo can set them up to like 3,000 or above.

jlp.media
12-02-2011, 05:15 AM
Same here, but I've always found it weird that when you use the arrow keys(◄►) around any parameters it has a threshold built into it, unless you type in that number. Not a big deal, but I suppose it's Lightwaves way of telling you that you are, not necessarily do something wrong, but doing something that is outside of the Real-World parameters?

jlp.media
12-02-2011, 05:16 AM
and by 'any' i mean 'some'

Surrealist.
12-02-2011, 06:37 AM
That's true with many of LightWave's input fields such as color values. Softimage does the same thing. Kind of a common thing in 3D apps I think.

Ryan Roye
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Good luck with learning dynamics, i've found the learning curve is steep as well and its hard to reach that point of Zen where there's less time spent experimenting and more time doing. At least hypervoxels aren't too bad as its easy to re-use and re-tune the dynamics you create by saving them in a separate scene file and loading as needed.