PDA

View Full Version : LW 10.1 Modeler Hanging

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody else has had any issues with Modeler just randomly freezing for a few seconds while you're working. Mine does it to me when I try to do something as simple as changing the falloff gizmo's direction or length. It'll freeze for about 10-15 seconds and then continue to work again. Inevitably though, Modeler WILL crash.

The model isn't that heavy and it will do it with just a simple disc being the only object loaded. When it hangs, the processor isn't changing it's usage statistics, and memory isn't jumping around any more than normal (a few bytes here and there, but that's about it).

The only things I can think of is possibly OpenGL, but I've reset things to their defaults, I've killed my configs, and still no luck. I've restarted the computer multiple times and have tried to work with it being the only program running. Still does it.

Any suggestions or thoughts of other things to try?

Thanks!

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I should note that I'm working in the 64-bit version. I don't have the 32-bit version even installed and it is the only version of Lightwave installed on this machine period (ie - I'm not mixing 9.6 and 10 and 10.1 or anything like that).

wrench
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
What graphics card are you using with what drivers? It might be that simply updating your drivers is what you need to do.

B

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
good idea, haven't thought of that.

FYI, Quadro FX 4000, on 275.89 drivers.

I'll try updating or rolling back and let you know.

wrench
11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Pretty recent then. I'm on 280.26 I think.

B

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 02:33 PM
As a heads-up, just checked with three other lightwave artists here, who are apparently ALSO having the problem and they're running the same exact card and driver combo. Could be onto something...

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 02:33 PM
No freezing with 280.26 then?

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Correction. I have a Quadro 4000 (not Quadro FX 4000).

I rolled back to the latest developer's drivers, which were 270.81. The freezing actually seems to be WORSE than the 275.89 ones, so at least I now know that the problem seems to be with the video card drivers.

I'm going to try a handful of other drivers and see which one works. If I find a solution that seems to be stable, I'll post it up on here. If not, I'll have to revert back to my old Quadro 3800 graphics card.

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 06:03 PM
I've tried all different flavors of drivers, from 259 series to the 285 series. No luck. Still freezing like crazy.

I'm quickly losing my patience and am getting way behind in my work thanks to the constant freezing issues.

phorne_tca
11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Found the problem. It was freezing due to the fact that it was trying to save a somewhat heavy object to the network using the autosave feature that's now built into the options panel in Modeler and Layout. Since the file was so big, it would try to save it every minute or so (even though it was set to 5 minute intervals) and the save process would take about 30-45 seconds each time. Turned it off in both modeler and Layout, and it's worked fine ever since. Just thought I'd pass along the solution I found.

It still doesn't explain why it was doing it when it was the only software running or why it would freeze on small objects as well...

On the up side, I have the latest and greatest video drivers now :D

wrench
11-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Hurrah! Glad you're sorted.

B