PDA

View Full Version : FFX guides

jlp.media
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I need a way to save fiber fx's guides in layout. through the scene...an export option, as an object layer..either way, as long as i can rest assured that it saves after i waste 30min editing the guides. thanks newtek! ill be switching software soon.

Dodgy
11-30-2011, 04:49 AM
I need a way to save fiber fx's guides in layout. through the scene...an export option, as an object layer..either way, as long as i can rest assured that it saves after i waste 30min editing the guides. thanks newtek! ill be switching software soon.
Turn on LWDynamics in the FFX panel and save the object. The guides will be saved in the object.

jlp.media
11-30-2011, 07:54 AM
funny. if only it were that easy. i did find a work around though: make the guides in modeler

Greenlaw
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
It does work...I've used this technique a few times.

Are you using LW 10.1? You can't do this in 10.0 or earlier. It should work in LW 11 but I haven't tried it yet.

G.

jlp.media
11-30-2011, 01:01 PM
I must be doing something wrong since you are the second person to tell me otherwise.
-I open up the FFX panel
-activate the object
-enable 'Draw'..just for kicks,
-go to 'edit guides' on the bottom left.
-brush Fabio's hair
-click okay.
-save object, open in modeler; nothing shows in any layer.

And even after I bring that object back in layout I'm quick to notice that the guides didn't get saved as I'm forced to repeat the process again. (I checked with version 9.6 and 10.1) either way, I shouldn't have to find all these workaround methods for every little thing that i do.

jasonwestmas
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't see the part where you say that you checked the box that says LWDynamics. Did you checkmark that box? That's what creates the polychain guides that are save-able.

Greenlaw
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
If you have Lightwave 11, here's a better technique: After closing Edit Guides, right-click on the active FFX layer using those guides and choose Polygonize. Set Sides to 1 and click OK. Select the new mesh and save the object. If you don't save this object, you will lose it when you close the scene.

If you open the object in Modeler you should see 2-polygon guide chains with a root point for each guide. Edit away in Modeler if you desire.

Note: it is not necessary to enable LW Dynamics with this method.

G.

Greenlaw
05-30-2012, 05:53 PM
I should add that the result with this method won't be exactly what the guides in Edit Guides looks like, but instead it will be what the FiberFX fibers look like in OpenGL. This means you can control the density and other FiberFX properties of your guides before you polygonize and save them as an object, which can be very useful.

However, if you need exactly what you see when in Edit Guide mode, then use the first method using LW Dynamics.

G.

khan973
08-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi, after having spent a WHOLE DAY trying to get this right, my conclusion is that it is NOT reliable...
I have been spending many hours and wasting each time all the time spent.
I have my animal, I select a surface to work on with FFX. I edit my guides.
When I reopen the scene, it doesn't work, no more hair styling.
Same scenario with LW Dynamics BEFORE styling. When I reopen, nothing (or even a crash)
Same again but with LW Dynamics AFTER styling. no success either.
Save / Load, not working for that either.

When I freeze it, of course, it's destructive, I can't edit guides anymore.
Until somebody provides a scene where I see it working, to me it doesn't work.
I might do something wrong but I've tried every tips I have found here and there.

After editing, If I want to change the surface to edit another, it also removes the styling.
It's depressing, nothing works concerning guides...
Once again I was assuming it was working and wasting time/money and ruining my production... If by noon I can't get it to work I'll be forced to hire a Maya/Max artist to get it done. I really hate to hit big failure like that.

erikals
08-30-2012, 04:37 AM
you are not using LW9.6 though, are you? :]

(your signature needs an update me thinks) :]

khan973
08-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Ok, you're right I'll edit it.
But no, I'm using 11.0.3 x64.
I gave Up. I did in the Modeler. Not as easy but I could save the guides and parameters exept for the gravity direction. So after some crashes I could recover most of it.
I tweak alittle bit in Layout with brush.

Bad news for me, I have everything right but render crashes... Sigh

khan973
08-30-2012, 05:27 AM
It does work with Multithreading, right?

khan973
08-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Ok, I started over, it's working now. I did the same things tho.

lardbros
08-31-2012, 05:47 AM
A bit painful though isn't it?

The biggest problem I had was trying to make guides that work with FFX, the way I'd IMAGINE them to work,... but without using the FFX tool in modeller.

Anything you try and create using polychains or curves, and convert using the strand maker tool, is basically unusable. If this was sorted out, so FFX would work with any sort of chain you throw at it... people wouldn't be moaning so much. But at the moment it's a complete minefield... unless you use the modeller guide growing tools.

erikals
08-31-2012, 06:13 AM
did you try this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM305ysCy4s

looks good, haven't tried it though...

lardbros
08-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Does look good... great in fact! But don't have ZBrush.

It seems the strand maker tool works with Zbrush curves... just that in my trialling of creating my own curves in LW, using single-point polygon chains or LW curves, and then using the Strand Maker tool, i get VERY mixed results. Would be cool if it all just worked.

I'm sure they're working on it all as we speak... just want everything now :D

erikals
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
yeah, for sure it requires absolutely clean curves. it's not forgiving.
not sure if the convert function also has a bug... more tests needed...