PDA

View Full Version : Best way to create collision meshes.

doowah2004
10-16-2003, 08:48 AM
I am working with fairly detailed large scale models ~6,000-10,000 polys for use in gaming. I need to create accurate collision meshes for buildings and such so that characters can not walk through walls...etc... The problem is that if I simply copy the model meshes and use it as a collision mesh it kills the game engine (Torque) because of the complexity of calculation with such high count collision meshes, and if I use QEMLOSS to lower the poly count, the engine does not crash, but the model will not be fully covered by the mesh => charaters can walk through random walls.

Does any one have any sugestions on this? Any help is appreciated.

Valter
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
colision = IMPACT ROX

Do you try to use MDmetaplug and MDSCAN. I never did use, but I heard very good stuffs about it for calculate colisions and replace your model after calculed.

excuse my english.

cheers

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Doesn't the Torque engine have a poly limit for collisions?

doowah2004
10-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Volter >>> Thanks, I will look into those.

WizCracker >>> No, Torque does not have a poly limit in the true sense, but it does as far as performance... it has been suggested to stay below 32 polys per mesh... but I thin that that is 32 rendered/calculated polys, so something this large if done right could have quite a bit more.