PDA

View Full Version : Converting Skelegons to Bones and Animation

HolyMonkey-
11-28-2011, 07:42 AM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7393/helprf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/helprf.jpg/)

Having some trouble converting my bones to skelegons.

Object A - Create bones - Create Weightmaps - Assign Weightmaps using skelegon tree - Go to layout - Convert Skelegons into bones - Try to rotate bone -

It rotates, but it doesn't do it correctly. The weightmap has more influence than I assigned it to have as you can see in the picture.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Surrealist.
11-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Check to make sure you have it set to "Weight Maps Only" in the bone properties panel in Layout. Also you can use the select by map tool in the Selection tab to check to make sure each map is where it should be.

HolyMonkey-
11-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Thank you, that solved the problem. Apparently it wasn't assigned to any weightmap in layout. Had to manually assign and make sure it was using only weightmap. Guess modeller didn't wanna help me out there heh.

Thanks! You the man!

PS, care to explain the usage of weight normalization how to take better controll of it? You can only set the strenght?

Surrealist.
11-29-2011, 05:40 AM
If you use the Bone Weights tool you can automatically create weights with the name of the bone. That's what it is looking for in Layout to get them assigned automatically. With the Bone Weights tool just set it to 0 percent and then do the weight values manually with each weight map.

Normalization has to do with the fact that each point can only have a total of 100% influence from any number of bones. EXAMPLE: 3 bones = any combination such as 80%, 10%, 10%. No more no less. Normalization helps to correct any errors with regards to this and tries to bring the values to 100 percent if they are above or below. This is not something you'd want for mechanical animation where each part has 100% bone influence on one bone. It is more for organic animation where several bones can have influence on any given point. Such as a leg hip and thigh.