PDA

View Full Version : How do I avoid interpenetration with ClothFX?

OcatilloPicture
11-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi,

I am trying to create a cloth banner that unfurls via gravity using ClothFX. It's a really simple element, just a cloth rectangle that is UV mapped with an image. I have "Fixed" the top edge of the banner, and frame 1 starts with the banner upside down, above the fixed edge.

I want gravity to simply make the banner collpapse into place as it rights itself. The desired effect is to release a wad of fabric that "shocks" as it hits the end of its attachment, and then settles into a rectangle of a banner.

I have tried high poly counts, low polys and meta mesh, but no matter what I do, the banner bisects itself or tears up the mesh as it falls. Meta mesh looks better, but its mesh falls apart too.

I have tried various setting for collision to try an prevent interpenetration, but to no avail.

I am using LW 8.0, but that shouldn't matter because I am sure the problem is dumb-*** me 1.0

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Surrealist.
11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Well you are right about the version you are using not making a difference, because the reason this does not work is that LightWave cloth self collision does not work.

You'd likely have to cheat this some way. But I am not sure if I am visualizing the desired effect clearly so I am not sure that to suggest. Some images of your set-up would help.

Ryan Roye
11-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Using clothfx is like trying to use a chainsaw to cut a piece of paper in my countless experiments with it. I'm not sure what I could suggest as i've gone through this same frustration only to end up dismissing clothfx from my workflow entirely. I wouldn't mind seeing more input on the issue you explain though.

OcatilloPicture
11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the replies.

I will revisit this problem when I am not on a deadline. For now, my solution was to do a bunch of distortions in After Effects to cheat the look that I need. It's not great, but it's done.

NEXT!