PDA

View Full Version : Developer's Diary #5

Ryan Roye
11-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Developer's Diary is a series of videos I am making to outline the triumphs, frustrations and revelations I go through when creating 3d animated content. Think of it as a documentary on learning experiences. The series is more aimed towards not-so-expert individuals like myself, but perhaps others may find it interesting to see how opinions, skills, and workflow change over time.

In this edition of the developer's diary I cover the following subjects:

-Delura EP 004 production notes
-Collaboration with a fellow Lightwave artist on their webseries.

Watch Developer's Diary #5 (Youtube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFCjkasLcjE)

evenflcw
11-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Another great episode. In addition to being entertaining, you explaining your workflow, your issues and your solutions is very beneficial to software/plugin/script developers. Thanks!

Very nice rundown of the many benefits of rendering to still frames.
Did Parker comment on your modified/combined rig?

Ryan Roye
11-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks!

Did Parker comment on your modified/combined rig?

Yeah, he mentioned how he could pose his rigs more naturally in 3d space though admitted it would take getting used to. There's a lot of little quirks too that can be frustrating if you don't know why they happen which I was explaining as we collaborated (IE: IKbooster's undo system being separate from Lightwave's, or how the "fix" feature is only meant to assist in posing the character, not for holding a limb in place). In the long run, I hope I can soak in some of his modeling/design techniques (which I desperately need) and perhaps he might learn a bit about character animation from me as well. Either way, it was pretty weird but satisfying seeing my animation paired with quality models.

I prefer use null-less, non-IK upper body characters myself most the time in favor of a snappier layout. IKbooster is useless for scenes that involve holding a limb in place (unless used as part of an IK rig), but as i've said I can bake regular IK keyframes exclusively for that task when needed.

ShadowMystic
11-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I thoroughly respect your desire to create. I watched through all 5 diaries and they were very interesting. There were things that I know about lightwave, but there were also a lot about the whole production process I did not. I respect that you use a script rather than 'um' your way through.

Ryan Roye
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I thoroughly respect your desire to create. I watched through all 5 diaries and they were very interesting. There were things that I know about lightwave, but there were also a lot about the whole production process I did not. I respect that you use a script rather than 'um' your way through.

One thing to bear in mind when watching my dev diaries though is that my earlier entries can contradict my more recent ones... but that's just how things have evolved over time.

For instance, I complain about how horrible subpatched models are for rendering and animating in my earliest diaries because I was just that inexperienced and didn't really know what the heck I was talking about. I imagine the same things will happen when, for example, comparing the future developer's Diary #10 to #5... I have a loooong way to go skill-wise.

It's kinda funny, there's instances where I want to go back in time and strangle myself saying something like "Damnit boy! Just flip a setting and your problems will go away! What is wrong with you!?"

ShadowMystic
11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I feel the same way. I only recently discovered the 'Keep Goal in Reach' options usefulness. I was set in my ways and never tried it.

My path diverged greatly from yours early on. All I cared about was learning as much as I could. Once I understood a concept I scrapped the scene and moved on. Now I wish I had completed more finished works.
I might be able to contribute but currently I'm finishing a project of my own.
http://shadowmysticstudios.daportfolio.com