PDA

View Full Version : Efficient Modeler tool

jlp.media
11-25-2011, 01:49 PM
i cant tell you how often im switching back and forth between wireframe and textured wire when welding points together.(when i cant use the merge tool)
I wish there were a keyboard shortcut to toggle between those 2 viewing modes. how hard could that be to implement? is there a 3rd party program out there somewhere that will help me?

Sensei
11-25-2011, 04:39 PM
It's not possible to change viewport parameters from plugin, now.

probiner
11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1021176&postcount=4
It's what you want. Ctrl+NumpadNumber will save the currect scheme, then when you press the NumpadNumber it will load it.
I got 3 set up: Textured Wireframe, Textured and Color Wireframe.

I totally feel your pain about welding vertices and such. Improvements LW needs on the mesh display:

A: You don't have a view where you see polygons and vertces. Only edges and polygons, or edges and vertices. And never the 3 of them. I have to go from Textured Wireframe to Color Wireframe to be able to see vertices

B: Transparency and Anti-Aliasing, being the first more important. Having 100% opaque display makes no sense in most situations and forces you to go from Textured Wireframe to Textured, to see the surface better.

\/ Attached an example of what Textured Wireframe should be more like. Object with texture, wireframe and vertices with different color and/or transparency.

This way I can stick to one rendering style 99% of the time since I see it all of the front-face geometry.

Cheers

Sensei
11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
\/ Attached an example of what Textured Wireframe should be more like. Object with texture, wireframe and vertices with different color and/or transparency.

Especially in Layout should look like this.
I even set up feature request for it yesterday
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?42163_andgmc0j4vq8g59k

Currently Wireframe modes in Layout when there are sub-patches in object, is almost completely useless because of all these internal sub-patch lines showing thousands/millions triangles..

probiner
11-25-2011, 07:00 PM
That's also true and has been pointed to be a visualization problem several times.

So to sum it up:

- Textured Wireframe: Vertices; Elements with transparency. Layout and Modeler (options)
- Subdivision wireframe like modeler for Layout (option)

Cheers

probiner
03-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Bump :)

A Catmull-Clark surface with some Edge Weight | Selection highlight.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/Subd-Wireframe-OGL-Selection.png
____________What we got _________________________How it optionally could be by default

Wireframe with toggable options like:

- Vertices display. LW hasn't a single viewport mode with Vertices and Edges display, plus shaded surface.

- Wireframe Transparency. 100% opacity Wireframe forces one to turn it off to evaluate the surface.

- Subdivision Wireframe in Layout like in Modeler with options for tesselation display: None; Quads (divisions); Triangles (render)

- When an item or it's elements are selected, only highlight the silhouette of items or just the Front Facing elements; NOT all elements in see-through. While it's useful many times, See-Through selection display can be an big mess.

- Wireframe Anti-Aliasing. Sometimes a Screengrab is all you need and having wires with AA is great. Faked in my image by scaling down.

A viewport behaving like this could be used like 90% of the time in modeler and layout (VPR aside), since vertices are seen, surface is not covered by edges and subdivisions and selections are visible but not a messy.

Cheers