PDA

View Full Version : Differently surfaced instance

thkaufm
11-25-2011, 11:53 AM
According to the description of Lightwave 11 features.
Instances can be " surfaced completely different from the source. "

How can this be done? I don't see anything that references the surface of the instance separately.

If I choose an object, and assign an instance generator to it, the dialog box has a bunch of settings for size and position, but I see nothing about surface. The node editor also has no inputs concerning surfaces.

If I create a clone instance object, the instanced object shows up in some places as a separate object and can be manipulated separately, but it doesn't show up as a separate object in the surface editor.

Tom

cagey5
11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
In the surface editor of the base instanced object, choose node editor and add the instance info node found under 'spot'.

Try experimenting with plugging that into the input of a gradient node for example and outputting the gradient to the surface colour.

btw. You may get fuller answers in the Lightwave 11 pre-release section as it's still in beta at this stage.

thkaufm
11-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Try experimenting with plugging that into the input of a gradient node for example and outputting the gradient to the surface colour.

Ok, got that working. I was trying it with the clone instance and it wasn't working, but I got it working with the instancing in the object.

You may get fuller answers in the Lightwave 11 pre-release section

If I knew where that section was, I would post there.
I haven't seen it.

Tom