PDA

View Full Version : Vertex normal map?

Builtdown
11-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I have a STEP-model that I exported from Rhino as OBJ and opened it in Lightwave. It looks pretty decent. The object has a vertex normal map as texture smoothing property and it handles the smoothing very well.

Although there is some parts in the model that were exported poorly and I would like to fix them manually. I can do that fine but the new polys I have made donīt work with the original vertex normal map so the new polys donīt look ok next to the original ones.

How can this be dealt with?
Thanks!

dulo
11-24-2011, 03:04 PM
You could fix the geometry in MOI ( moi reads iges and has an excelent lwo export) and export from there to lightwave.
The Lightwave normal map support is total crap. If you have a looooot of time you can take a look at the invert normal map lscript and the create normal map lscript somewhere in you lw install directory. with the techniques of those two scripts you can build your own normal map tools, but they are extremely slow ( even when compiled ) ..

prometheus
11-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Hi,

I have a STEP-model that I exported from Rhino as OBJ and opened it in Lightwave. It looks pretty decent. The object has a vertex normal map as texture smoothing property and it handles the smoothing very well.

Although there is some parts in the model that were exported poorly and I would like to fix them manually. I can do that fine but the new polys I have made donīt work with the original vertex normal map so the new polys donīt look ok next to the original ones.

How can this be dealt with?
Thanks!

do not modify and move any polyparts within the original geometry, it will screw up vertex normal smoothing, if you are creating new parts disconnected from the original object, that should be okey so I donīt see why it shouldīt look ok? do you have a sample image?

and for rendering objects with imported vertex normals, I suggest you use the perspective cam wich is rendering it correctly, native lightwave cam doesnīt.

Michael

Builtdown
11-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the answers although Iīm still with the problem... :)

Check out the attachment. Most of the model is fine but there is maybe 20 small polygon parts that I would like to fix.

Any way to fix these?

prometheus
11-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the answers although Iīm still with the problem... :)

Check out the attachment. Most of the model is fine but there is maybe 20 small polygon parts that I would like to fix.

Any way to fix these?

Not sure if you really could fix that within lightwave.
Might be that you have to try and export again from rhino with better setting.

I could take a little time and check it for you if you could post the model, either here or send i to my private mail, if you post a private message with your I could reply and you then send me the file.

That is if youre allowed to do so with the file.

I use deep exploration thou for my converted solidworks files out to the wavefront obj format then render in lightwave.
But I have acess to rhino too.
Ive tested rhino for conversions before but deep exploration works way more better.
Send both step and obj file if you can..

Michael

Builtdown
11-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks Prometheus!

I could send you the STP file if you could try to convert it with Deep Exploration. That would be awesome.

Where can I find your email?

prometheus
11-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks Prometheus!

I could send you the STP file if you could try to convert it with Deep Exploration. That would be awesome.

Where can I find your email?

Check you message box in your profile.

prometheus
11-25-2011, 05:17 AM
that was a big step file.
Unfortunatly I didnīt get it to work when importing it in to deep exploration
I had to set some import settings for it to even recognizing it, after that it was chooking my whole system and the whole computer became almost locked.

I did test it with a demo of nugraf/polytrans and it took quite a while to load too, but it worked..since it was a demo it cant export properly thou.

I thought I had rhino installed here, have to check that at home if I have the time.

Do you by any chance have another format than step, such as sldasm?

I usally can handle objects with over 800 000 polys without that much trouble(see my system spec)...so I guess this must be a huge tesselation in there?

Sorry I couldnīt help you out...at this time.

Michael

Builtdown
11-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Ok, thanks anyway!

I think I found a solution. I opened the STP-file in Rhino. Then exported it as IGES. Then opened IGES in Rhino and exported the file as OBJ.

OBJ is now 7 times larger (400mb) than before but the object looks better!