PDA

View Full Version : totally gutted

peteb
10-16-2003, 03:58 AM
Well I came back from work last night looking forward to continue modelling the witch model I'd been making for Halloween. I thought first of all I'd put the plug ins that I'd downloaded that day into my plugin folder. Opened up the folder to find...no plugins, they'd all gone. "That's weird" I thought, so I got Lightwave out and reinstalled them. Then had a look in the object folder, all but a few of the objects had gone, looked in Lscript, all that had gone too. In fact a lot of Lightwave had gone including my model. I had 3 backups but they were all in the same folder, the whole folder had gone. I re-installed lightwave, even saw it placing the plugins back onto the hard drive. But when I had a look, they weren't there. So I've done a virus check (nothing) and I've defraged the drive even though it's brand new. Re-installed and everything seems to be fine...well all apart from the fact I've lost two nights worth of work. Does anyone know what the hell happened here? I've never had anything like it, I'm just hoping it won't happen again. All my other programs seem fine, it only happened with in Ligtwave, I didn't have any problems the night before it all saved perfectly no errors.

Well back to the drawing board.

Matt
10-16-2003, 04:32 AM
What a nightmare! Been close to losing an entire project right near the end (two months work!) But it was a hardware thing and nothing to do with LightWave.

- - -

Some people have had issues with the LightWave installer overwriting folders if they already exist, it seems it just replaces the whole folder rather than being clever and a) asking if you want to overwrite or b) ask if you want to add/replace the files inside the folder, personally I've never had this problem.

So if you noticed some plugins were missing, then did a re-install that would explain why some of your project files were missing.

This doesn't explain why the plugins were missing in the first place, LightWave wouldn't just remove them for no reason. Must be something outside of LightWave if they genuinely just disappeared.

peteb
10-16-2003, 07:33 AM
yeah, these sort of things all ways happen when you're just putting the finishing touces on, it's never when you've just created a box or something.

I really have not got a clue what happened. I was thinking of trying some recovery software but I've made a new model now and it's pretty much at the stage I was last time. Going to make sure I back it up on another drive. Just shows you how much quicker you can create something once you've done it once.

mlinde
10-16-2003, 09:30 AM
I know it's an old school thing to not utilize the option to set a content folder anywhere. However, if your content (objects, etc.) were not in the pre-installed content folder, or if that folder were moved elsewhere, install/overwrite wouldn't happen. I have a totally separate directory for Lightwave projects, that's very far (figuratively) from my Applications/Programs folder.

On the pain note, I can recall a project a few years ago where at 11:00 PM EST I realized that somehow all my work for the last three days had been deleted from my workstation. I got a great file recovery utility for NT, saved my ***. I learned one big thing that night about file recovery -- if you want a chance at getting your files back, don't do anything on the disk that they disappeared from. Don't use a web browser, don't run an application, don't install an application, don't download anything. Do it on a different disk, because you run the risk of overwriting the data you want to recover. I was lucky, and managed to recover about 90% of my work, so I only had to pull a 36 hour shift to catch up.

peteb
10-16-2003, 09:38 AM
One day computers will just work without a hitch...I don't think I'll be around when it happens.

Matt
10-16-2003, 10:36 AM
backup - it's the only solution! (which I hardly ever do myself! I like to live on the edge!)

papou
10-16-2003, 11:14 AM
if your hub is autosaved on, your last models are in Documents&Settings/Administrator/LocalSetting/Temp/Lwhub...
pray and open the folder.

Matt
10-16-2003, 11:28 AM
probably just me, but I prefer not to use the hub!

cagey5
10-16-2003, 11:29 AM
I must admit I didn't realise the value of Hub autosave until I had a similar problem whereby I re-installe Lightwave and lost all my project objects. It was like a goldmine when I found it. All sorts of stuff that I'd forgot I'd even modelled.

The same night I set up an auto back-up of any new or modified files from anywhere directory under Lightwave. 3:30am every morning it backs up onto a different drive. I don't want to feel that sense of panic again!.

peteb
10-18-2003, 05:31 AM
Just had a look and as default the hub is set to never save so I guess its gone forever. I've switched to save every 5mins so hopefully I'll be ok now.

Thanks for the advice everyone.