PDA

View Full Version : Will a 32 bit LW10 license Network with a 64 bit OS pc added to a render farm?

jesblood
11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know if I can network render 3 XP 32 bit pc's with one 64 bit pc? I'm considering going for a black Friday deal at Best Buy to replace one of my downed computers on my network. The only thing that worries me about the deal is whether I can, in the end, add it's 64 bit version of Windows 7 to the mix in my network. On top of that my LW 10 license is 32 bit. Would that prevent me from being able to use LW on the 64 bit OS pc? If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

nickdigital
11-23-2011, 08:48 PM
The render boxes don't need a license.

I can't remember if the 32 bit license is the same as the 64 bit one. If it isn't, just register your LW version as 64 bit to get the 64 bit license.

The one thing to think about when working in 64 or 32 bit is that some plug-ins aren't available as 64 bit. So if you're using any you'd need to render with the 32 bit version of lwsn on your network. At work we all work in 64 bit, but in the event that someone needs to render with 32 bit, through our lscript that submits to the farm, the animator can specify 32 bit.

jesblood
11-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay so are you saying I can network the 64 bit OS pc into my render farm and it should work? Or are you saying I need to get a 64 Bit license and then the pc would work on the network? I think you are saying I don't need it and I can join the 64 to my network. Am I right?

nickdigital
11-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Okay so are you saying I can network the 64 bit OS pc into my render farm and it should work?

The 64 bit box is your workstation, right? You would need a 64 bit license to run LightWave to animate, model, etc. Also I just checked my licenses. You have one for 32 and one for 64 bit. You can put both numbers in the one license file to make managing easier.

Also, I don't see why you'd want 32 bit render nodes if you're working in 64 bit. Wouldn't you want the same render power when you need to render?

ShadowMystic
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
^ beat me too it.

jesblood
11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Your probably going to laugh but no I'm running Lw on my 32 bit Os. As a result I have several 32 bit os pcs networked on my farm. It's a 64 bit os pc on sale that I want to purchase in order to add it to my farm setup. What I'm fearful of is I'll buy the pc, hook it up to the network, setup all the files, hit render, and bam it doesn't work. Then I just wasted my money.

nickdigital
11-23-2011, 09:12 PM
No it should all work. As for setting up the network part...that's not my area of expertise. But as for LW working with 32 or 64 bit, they should all play well together. My one concern would be the plug-in compatibility which I stated earlier but you should be ok.

jesblood
11-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Okay cool. Thanks for the help Nick! And I'll keep the plugins info in mind. I do appreciate. Happy thanksgiving and God Bless!

nickdigital
11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
No problem and good luck.

You may or may not know this but I'll say it anyway. You can run 32 bit apps on the 64 bit OS. We do that at work. We have both 32 and 64 bit versions of LW installed. The render nodes are 64 bit as well but they don't actually have LW installed locally. They launch lwsn from a network folder.

By going with a 64 bit OS you can have access to both worlds, the 32 and 64 bit if you need them. Often there are 32 bit plug-ins for Modeler that don't exist for 64. Plus Modeler doesn't benefit as much in going 64.

More food for thought.