PDA

View Full Version : Worth to upgrade if main use is modeling/animating for games

freeflyklown
11-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi,

I own Lightwave 9.6. I tried the 10.1 trial and noticed that modelers viewport is much faster. Now I wondered if I should upgrade to LW 10.1.
I use Lightwave only to create (animated) models for games. I also got 3D Coat to paint the models and UV-Map them. Now my question is: Is it worth to upgrade to 10.1 if all i use Lightwave for is creating game models? Only obvious thing I noticed is the faster viewport.
What are your opinions?

Lewis
11-23-2011, 02:43 AM
You have some wrong settings for OGL in 9.6 if you see 10.1 faster since it's NOT faster in OGL than 9.6. It just have better defaults and lot of people don't know how to setup modeler openGL to be fast (i was actually stoked when i see/findout how many of LW users and especially old time users don't know that or even use legacy streaming mode which is slowest possible tumbling mode).

set your modeler 9.6 openGL THIS way (attachment) and use Wireframe, Textured, Textured wireframe modes. Those work fine with VBO feature (some other modes don't have VBO acceleration so they are slow since not using GFX card). Also use "transparency" checkmark only if you must (that's why it's off on my screen) since LWopenGL is dead slow with transparency on (in any version up to now).

cheers

OnlineRender
11-23-2011, 03:52 AM
I would wait for Lw11

RebelHill
11-23-2011, 04:35 AM
well, if u get 10.1 now, ull get 11 anyway...

however yes, Id def recommend it, depending on the exact nature of the games pipeline you're using... because the fbx toolset for import and export is a good deal more flexible in 10.1 than it was in 9.6, so throwing things to, or bringing from, other apps, or out to game tools like unity is much easier to deal with, etc.

colkai
11-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade, for what you want, 9.6 is more than up to it.
Plus, if it's modeller updates you're after, I'd be more inclined to suggest getting your hands on LWCAD4,that sure does "upgrade" modeller some. Worth every penny and I'd wager you'd find it hard to get someone to disagree with that. ;)

freeflyklown
11-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I'll guess I wait for 11 final release to see what more it offers than what is known by now.

freeflyklown
11-23-2011, 11:20 AM
And Lewis, thanks for your help in setting up OGL correctly. I had it set to GLSL shaders instead of multitexture...and now modeler 9.6.1 is also fluent as well ;-)!

Lewis
11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Good to hear ;).

Surrealist.
11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
You won't see modeling improvements for a while. But I agree that import export enhancements might be worth it for what you do.

ShadowMystic
11-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Wrong tab :\