PDA

View Full Version : Medical_illustrations

Trevor
11-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Some medical illustrations from recent projects.
Blood cells and Osteoblasts.

vector
11-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Nice colors... not sure what are osteoblasts :b , but they look great, Very good job

Waves of light
11-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Very cool. Are the textures on the osteoblasts a mixture of procedural and texture maps?

Trevor
11-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Nice colors... not sure what are osteoblasts :b , but they look great, Very good job

Thanks, basically osteoblasts are cells from which bone develops.

Very cool. Are the textures on the osteoblasts a mixture of procedural and texture maps?

Thanks, the textures are completely procedural.

BigHache
11-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Way cool.

dulo
11-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Really like the style !!

bazsa73
11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
cool illustrations

oliversimonnet
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Nice! looks great
Love the little features on the blood cells :)
Nice job

benedict_ilagan
11-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Images are cool and great outputs..

Could you share the knowledge on your settings on the hairy fibers and its wires, while the osteoblasts i find it identically in clone due to its texture pattern and tentacles positionings... share also the settings... great images

Trevor
11-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Images are cool and great outputs..

Could you share the knowledge on your settings on the hairy fibers and its wires, while the osteoblasts i find it identically in clone due to its texture pattern and tentacles positionings... share also the settings... great images

Hi, Not entirely sure what you mean by hairy fibers. If you mean the details on the blood cells, because the final output on this piece was a single image as apposed to an animation, I painted them in photoshop.
This is just faster and easier to get the result I needed in a timely manner
working against budget and deadline.

I have attached a pic of the wires for the scene. I used very basic geometry for the elements in the scene, the backdrop being a simple quad plane bent into shape. The artery a simple tube with thickness with a few extended polys at the front to give a less regular finish.
I then used fractal noise and ripple as displacement maps on both to get the surface detail.
The extra smaller veins dotted around the scene are simple boxes, which are pulled out using magic bevel.

benedict_ilagan
11-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Hi, Not entirely sure what you mean by hairy fibers. If you mean the details on the blood cells, because the final output on this piece was a single image as apposed to an animation, I painted them in photoshop.
This is just faster and easier to get the result I needed in a timely manner
working against budget and deadline.

I have attached a pic of the wires for the scene. I used very basic geometry for the elements in the scene, the backdrop being a simple quad plane bent into shape. The artery a simple tube with thickness with a few extended polys at the front to give a less regular finish.
I then used fractal noise and ripple as displacement maps on both to get the surface detail.
The extra smaller veins dotted around the scene are simple boxes, which are pulled out using magic bevel.

thanks for the cool tips
photoshop rules..!!! :D:thumbsup:

brunopeixoto
11-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Super cool!!!

Trevor
04-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Osteoblast Lightwave 2018 style.
The new volume textures are just great to work with.

04-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Wow, that is a nice image. Images truly look different out of 2018, much more substantive, richer.
Hard to stop looking at your image: so much to discern and look at.
Robert

Scazzino
04-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Great job!
I'd post it as a new thread though.
Otherwise many may look at the first post that's from 2011 and miss the new one from this year.

prometheus
04-18-2018, 11:16 AM

yeah..great showcase of using volumetrics in other ways than clouds, it shows how nice the edge softness of the textured volume is.

Trevor
04-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

I do love the new Lightwave volume tools, the way light scatters through them is spectacular to use, but how I wish ifw2 nodal textures would work !
Plugging those textures into the volumes could be very interesting indeed.

prometheus
04-20-2018, 04:03 AM
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

I do love the new Lightwave volume tools, the way light scatters through them is spectacular to use, but how I wish ifw2 nodal textures would work !
Plugging those textures into the volumes could be very interesting indeed.

Same here for the dpont rman node textures, but a workaround..yet not as flexible, is to add a color or scalar layer node, and feed it to the volumetric texture input node and from there you should be able to use IFW2 textures..at least for basic stuff with the new volumetrics.

Trevor
04-20-2018, 06:48 AM
Wow! I did not know that, works well, thank you.

Axis3d
04-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Very cool. Are you getting the volumetric to conform to the shape of your Osteoblast geometry, or are those hand-placed null primitive volumetrics? I thought that selecting a "Source Item" object in the Volumetric panel would do this, but no such luck yet.

Trevor
04-22-2018, 03:56 AM
In this image I placed the nulls by hand, although there are two ways I have tried to get the volumes to conform to geometry.
One is, run particle fx with no forces and emit from surface or normals, volumes work with particles, the other is run a cloth fx or soft fx to record the point data. Then you can use the edit tool to select a point you want
on your model and run the make path script to attach a null, this second way may be useful for animating if the mesh is morphing or displaced.

Axis3d
04-22-2018, 10:16 AM
In this image I placed the nulls by hand, although there are two ways I have tried to get the volumes to conform to geometry.
One is, run particle fx with no forces and emit from surface or normals, volumes work with particles, the other is run a cloth fx or soft fx to record the point data. Then you can use the edit tool to select a point you want
on your model and run the make path script to attach a null, this second way may be useful for animating if the mesh is morphing or displaced.

Thanks, Trevor.

I recently bought the OD Tools set, which has some useful tools to automate placing nulls on an object.