PDA

View Full Version : Documentation Improvements

opmeyer
11-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks to all those people that helped put together the Lightwave manual and keep it up to date. I know what a hard job it is so Im going to point out when I find errors or incomplete sections.

Here is a list that I have found so far. I hope this is an appropriate place for this kind of feedback.

------------------------------------------------------------
Page numbers on the PDF document are out by +13 pages.
pg.327, 328. Recode should say Record.
Pg 337 ParticleFX_LINK. No description of what the plugin is used for.
pg 338 FX_Motion . No description of what the plugin is used for.
pg 326. No description for load limit function.
"Use the Recode CP option to set up an event-like trigger to be read by a child emitter" ..could read... " An emitter will play a saved. pfx file when this option is set but the Collision controller must first be parented to the emitter."

"...As particles cross the collision plane.." (Is it really only particles, what about other dynamic objects?) ...." Also maybe add a note about collisions that do not cross the collision plane and the resulting implications should be added to clear up speculation about this function. Does the word collision in this instance mean a complete surface intersection?
Pg 329.
" The event mode is used when the emitter has its Generate by option set to collision event: It creates particles at the time of the collision"

This is unclear in my oppinion...
-What emitter? What about other dynamic objects?
-What event? (Is the event a collision or a complete surface intersection? I assume we are talking about any collision at this object, including bounce. But objects do not bounce when this mode is set so its really only an event when objects pass through the collision surface).
pg 323.

"When Generate by is set to collision event, the particles are created when a collision event occurs" You need to use a collision controller who's mode is set to event." (... It is unclear whether the collision event is an interaction between particles from this emitter, the emitter itself or a collision by any dynamic object. .... )

wrench
11-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks opmeyer, that's great! Could you possibly put them in a bug report?

B

jeric_synergy
11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
How will we know when the errata are corrected and integrated into the available PDF manuals?

wrench
11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't think the LightWave 10 manuals will get updated. This will be for ongoing manuals.

B

jeric_synergy
11-23-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't think the LightWave 10 manuals will get updated. This will be for ongoing manuals.
B
Ahhh, yes, that's what I meant.

As a Customer Service thing, I'd like to see NewTek try to update the PDF manuals (and html Help) by incorporating changes MONTHLY.

That is: the documentation department would integrate all errata reported during any given month into new, minisculey updated PDFs that users could then download. Users would be providing, as currently, 'documentation bugs' via the usual FogBugz system. Documentation Department would be collecting them, throwing out reports that are made on old outdated PDFs, and checking the current PDFs to see if the errata actually exists. If it does, it gets corrected, added to the next month's PDF.

Reports that are from previous PDF versions are just summarily discarded-- screw 'em if the users aren't working off the current versions. That should save some time.

wrench
11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Things are changing throughout LightWave land and documentation changes will be much easier to deal with *soon*, they just aren't right now.

B