PDA

View Full Version : Nurnie Help

Skinner3D
11-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I am modeling an air battleship based closely on the attached photo. I am hoping to composite it into a picture that I took from an airplane, and have the whole thing look sort of like a Hayao Miyazaki film.

Everything that can be seen in the reference photo I have modeled so far, but my instructor thinks that I could go through and add more detail. I do agree with him, but I don't know what level of nurnie detail I should try for. For example, the AA guns are basically a project in of themselves if I modeled every last bit of detail that I see in reference pictures. At what point does it become stupid and probably better off in a texture?

I have until next Friday to get this done and I still need to texture, render, and composite.

I will upload a picture of my model thus far tomorrow.

Dexter2999
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Nurnies bring to mind the Quad panels plug in from Liberty 3D. Rivet patterns? And perhaps on the gun turrets?

Texture rust stains where you have shading on your sketch?

jeric_synergy
11-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I have until next Friday to get this done and I still need to texture, render, and composite.
Do you mean a week, or 3 days?

JeffrySG
11-22-2011, 10:32 PM

That's pretty important especially with the US holiday coming up.

But here's how I try to approach this type of question:

Figure out what pixel dimensions you'll need your final model to be rendered for the final piece. At that specific size figure out how big some of the details will be in the final render. If some of them will only be a few pixels tall you would probably benefit from using a detailed texture map as compared to building the model. If some of the parts will be larger you might want to build them. You can also use how large in pixels each part will be to help determine how much detail you'll need in that part of the model.

Essentially only build what you need to build at that mesh density and not any greater. If you won't see a part in the final render, hold off on building it. If something will be really small don't use that many segments, etc.

On that illustration it seems to me that the texturing would be as important as the model itself. But the AA guns could probably just be simple cylinders with basic shapes for the rest with nice textures applied. Depending of course how close you'll be to the ship in the final render.

The greatest factor really needs to be how much time you can spend working on it and also leave time for texturing, rendering and final comps, etc.

Skinner3D
11-23-2011, 07:21 AM

December 3rd. :)

Dexter: I thought about doing rivets. Would it be worth it to model them or just use texture/normal maps for them?

The final render is probably going to be 1680x1050. I am thinking about using it as my next desktop background.
I will also be rendering out a brief animation at 960x540 for my demoreel.
I don't think it will be any bigger than the attached picture. (Yeah its Maya, not Lightwave) :P

Figuring out the size in pixels makes a lot of sense. That will give me a good starting place.

Thanks for the help so far. :)

Skinner3D
11-23-2011, 07:23 AM
ooops forgot attachment. :)

Dexter2999
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
If that is as close as you are going to get, you can get away with painting the rivets on.

But, since you want to use it as a demo reel piece, I would encourage you to model as much detail as you can and do some fly throughs. Being able to take multiple camera shots and reveal all of the work you put in can really improve your reel.

Oh, and I would add that spending the time putting more detail in the model will pay off. It is more impressive to see just an occlusion pass of a really great model than to see an okay model with an okay texture applied. So, if you are a great texture artist (and that takes alot of time) call the modeling done and start painting. But if you are not an excellent texture artists, I'd say keep adding details and skip the texturing altogether.

vector
11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
It could help you

http://lightwavebox.blogspot.com/search/label/greeble

Vector

jeric_synergy
11-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I'd say, in the short run, concentrate on textures. Geometry is nice, but I think can be a bit of a luxury.

KillMe
11-23-2011, 01:36 PM
the paddles could use abit more detailing make em look more like i-beams etc rather than smooth rounded things - maybe some hull panels - but otherwise looking great and as someone said could be done with textures for the most part

Skinner3D
12-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the help all. :) The final can be seen here.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=124178