PDA

View Full Version : TMPGEnc encoding question

Rich Deustachio
10-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I tried to encode a project that was an hour and 45 mins long. I set TMPGEnc up for two pass VBR with all of the setting I read about that Eugene posted. The render time on my dual 1.7 Xeons was about 18 hours. This is way too long to make this worth while doing compared to using a freestanding DVD burner. Is this encoding time normal?

mgrusin
10-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Sounds long to me, I have a single P4 2.4 and mine are generally 4-6X realtime.

I'm sure Eugene can help more, but:

Are you doing anything expensive like noise reduction?

Is the process priority set too low? (are your CPUs pegged at 100% while you're encoding? Are you running anything else at the same time?)

I vaguely recall someone mentioning a special setting for dual processors?

Good luck! -MG

Jim_C
10-16-2003, 10:44 AM
You can set TMPGEnc priority to high when active and/or idle from a drop down in the program might help. Also set priority to high in ctrl/alt/delete processes.

Using my dual 1.8's at home a 1.45 would prob take 4-7 hours, taking a wild stab.

Make sure your TMPGEnc temp file is set for your video cache and you set your cache setting to 11000 mb.
Also turn on all your multiple proc. settings.

good luck
jim

ScorpioProd
10-16-2003, 03:37 PM
To get 18 hours you MUST have one of the filters turned on or something. Even without my optimizations, it wouldn't be that slow.

Rich Deustachio
10-16-2003, 05:20 PM
No filters were selected in the advanced section and the quality level is set to high not highest. No other programs running. I did have the priority set to normal when active, would that make it run that long?

TMPGEnc temp file is set for video cache and cache is set to 11000 mb.

Jim_C
10-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Are you running XP?
Do you have hyperthreading enabled in your mb bios?
Watch your performance tab in ctrl/alt/delete are both (should be 4 windows for ht) procs taking hits while encoding.

hmmm..
all I can think of now?

ScorpioProd
10-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Are your dual-processor options all enabled in environmental settings for TMPGEnc?

Honestly, the priority setting doesn't matter at all unless you have something else running at the same time.

Rich Deustachio
10-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Running it on 2000 pro. I will check the dual processor setting. Thanks for the suggestions, I really want to be able to make DVDs with menus sometimes. The real time freestanding burner is great for customers that don't want to pay for fancy titles and chapter buttons, but I need to be able to offer the better quality ones too. What about the source setting for a VT3 project, is it progressive or interlaced and top field first or bottom?

Thanks again!

Rich Deustachio
10-16-2003, 11:53 PM
In CPU everything is checked except "use multi-thread" and in processors box it says 2.

ScorpioProd
10-17-2003, 02:12 AM
VT-Edit projects loaded via the plug-in into TMPGEnc are Top Field First (Field A).

Interlaced.

I am running on Win2k SP4.

CHECK the use multi-thread box! You're only using one CPU in TMPGEnc if that isn't checked.

Rich Deustachio
10-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks Eugene I'm sure that will solve it. Thanks to all who posted.

Rich Deustachio
10-17-2003, 09:34 PM
OK it took about 4 hours to encode it this time, but when I brought the file into DVDit PE it came up with an error. Something like file is missing something before I frame.......huh? I will try to write down the exact message. I am now re-encoding just using CBR instead of VBR to see if that makes any difference. My free standing burner is looking better and better.

ScorpioProd
10-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Be sure you haven't messed with any of the GOP settings... Sounds like you have an invalid GOP setting set...

Start with the settings from the default DVD template and modify from there. For the GOP, you shouldn't need to modify anything from the default. Be sure you have "Output closed GOP" selected. Some authoring programs can't work without that set.