PDA

View Full Version : 9.6 help

sacsack
11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
I have 9.6 lightwave, can I still get 10 for free. If not what is the last update I can get fro free/
Thank You
renny

biliousfrog
11-21-2011, 08:06 AM
You can't get anything for free unless you want 9.6.1 but it's only a beta with a perminent key so it isn't recommended.

colkai
11-21-2011, 08:14 AM
That depends on when you bought 9.6 - If in the last month, you may be eligible, later than that, nope, you're looking at $695 upgrade price

Phil
11-21-2011, 08:43 AM
You can't get anything for free unless you want 9.6.1 but it's only a beta with a perminent key so it isn't recommended.

I don't understand the latter part of that statement. 9.6.1 contains a decent dose of fixes for 9.6 and was released with a permanent key. It's a released version of LW - customer service, as far as I know, support it as well.

On Mac, it's also the only 9.x version of LW to provide 64-bit support. It does have some issues (mainly Worley plugins) on that platform, but otherwise seems to work.

Mind you, it's rare that you see people using it - the brief 10.x cycle kind of overtook it. There are reasons behind that, which were discussed, at length, in the open beta area.

biliousfrog
11-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't understand the latter part of that statement. 9.6.1 contains a decent dose of fixes for 9.6 and was released with a permanent key. It's a released version of LW - customer service, as far as I know, support it as well.

On Mac, it's also the only 9.x version of LW to provide 64-bit support. It does have some issues (mainly Worley plugins) on that platform, but otherwise seems to work.

Mind you, it's rare that you see people using it - the brief 10.x cycle kind of overtook it. There are reasons behind that, which were discussed, at length, in the open beta area.

9.6.1 was only released after a lot of very angry 9.6 beta testers complained about NT's decision to drop the promised 9.6.1 update in favour of the LW10 paid upgrade. 9.6.1 for PC is just the last beta version but NT released a perminent key so that they could say, "here's the free update we promised". There was a statement from NT that 9.6.1 for PC would not be released as all development had been put in to LW10, only after many complaints (mostly restricted to beta forums or deleted) was a perminent key released.

That's why I, and many others, aren't using 9.6.1. It is a beta product with a 'gold' name which I personally would not risk in production. Many others had already paid for LW10 when 9.6.1 was declared dead for PC.

colkai
11-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Indeed, I recall that issue only too well.
Like you, I decided to stay away from 9.6.1 with it being a "Beta" build.

I never saw any statement from Newtek to the effect it was no longer a Beta and simply got to the point I just plain didn't trust the idea of installing it. (rightly or wrongly).

Phil
11-22-2011, 10:12 AM
9.6.1 was only released after a lot of very angry 9.6 beta testers complained about NT's decision to drop the promised 9.6.1 update in favour of the LW10 paid upgrade. 9.6.1 for PC is just the last beta version but NT released a perminent key so that they could say, "here's the free update we promised". There was a statement from NT that 9.6.1 for PC would not be released as all development had been put in to LW10, only after many complaints (mostly restricted to beta forums or deleted) was a perminent key released.

That's why I, and many others, aren't using 9.6.1. It is a beta product with a 'gold' name which I personally would not risk in production. Many others had already paid for LW10 when 9.6.1 was declared dead for PC.

I'm aware of the history. I'm also aware of the NDA that would seem to preclude an discussion of this aspect outside of the assigned area of the forums.

None of this takes away from the fact that this is a released update which is supported. Any software is effectively beta up until it is released, at which point it is released - 9.6.1 is, thus, no beta. 9.6.1 was cooking for the best part of two years, for example, and there was plenty of testing during that period. So, unless there's a major issue with it, I don't see why you are opposed to using it. Instead, avoiding it rather seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face - there are significant fixes in 9.6.1 compared to 9.6, after all. There is also, sadly, some unique breakage. C'est la vie.

biliousfrog
11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I am only going by what other's have said regarding the last beta of 9.6, that it was mostly more broken than the release version...it was a WIP, not designed for public release...then it was rebranded and released. I don't have many issues with 9.6 so I'm not going to risk losing functionality in the tools I have just for the sake of having a .1 at the end.

As for NDA's...I never signed it, I couldn't get access to the beta, that's a whole other issue. Everything that I know about 9.6 was discussed either publicly (because 9.6.1 was not a beta/private discussion as far as I was concerned) or via PM's with a certain member of NT (whom I made clear that I would share discussions publicly). Just because a gagging order was put in place doesn't mean that the words were not said.

Anyway, that is all in the past. I'd hope that NT have learned from it, many of their customers certainly have.

sacsack
11-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Thank you all, I will be happy with 9.6, I only payed $400.00 for it
so I am not going pay over $600 for a up grade. All I use it for is making
models for games.
Thanks
renny:thumbsup: