PDA

View Full Version : Layer Selection Tools - modeler LScripts

falogfx
11-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks to the positive feedback I received on my last LScript - Radial move (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123806), I decided to release these two simple tools.

The scripts might help some when dealing with large amounts of layers in modeler, for example when handling imported objects from CAD software. Imported CAD files can sometimes contain thousands of layers, which can be a pain.

Someone has surely made something like these before but I haven't found any, so I wrote my own.

The zip contains two script files.

1. selectLayerRange - a very simple script that selects a range of layers. Just select the first and last layer in the range and run the script. All layers between and including your selected layers will be selected. Add the script to a shortcut key or, as I have done, to one of the mouse button menus for easy access.

2. showSelectedLayers - When having multiple layers visible e.g when loading an object, select a few polygons on the pieces you would like to isolate. Run the script and only the layers containing the selected polys will now be selected.

I hope the scripts are working ok and are bug free, no guarantees though.

Enjoy :)

Danner
11-21-2011, 07:02 AM
very useful thanx, specially the second one =)

kfiram
11-21-2011, 07:53 AM
very useful thanx, specially the second one =)

Yea, I always wanted something like that. Thanks!!!

PeT
11-21-2011, 11:33 PM
something .. don't work correct ?
when I select polys in three layers ..
- ShowSlected shows two layers
- SelectLayerRange select three layers ..

falogfx
11-22-2011, 01:03 AM
something .. don't work correct ?
when I select polys in three layers ..
- ShowSlected shows two layers
- SelectLayerRange select three layers ..

Hi PeT,
can you tell me more about the problems you are having? The scripts work fine for me.

- If the polys you have selected only belongs to two of the three layers then ShowSelectedLayers does just what it should. However, if you got polys selected in all of the three layers and one of them is dissappearing then there's something wrong. I cannot replicate that error here though.

- When running SelectLayerRange, try to only select two layers, where one is the first layer in the range and other is the last layer in the range. All layers between and including these layers should become selected by the script when running it. This script doesn't do anything at all with poly selections.

Anyone else had any similar problems? Please, let me know and I may be able to find a fix for it.

erikals
11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Great! :]

i'll be using this one a lot... thank you! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/023.gif

geo_n
11-24-2011, 04:36 AM
THanks. Useful as the radial move.
I'm using a similar lscript to showSelectedLayers except it selects the whole connected polys after activating the layer. Would be great if showSelectedLayers did the same.

Creativetone
11-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Thank you again!

These have been really useful to me recently.
And seems to be working fine with LightWave 11.

btw. I use also Mike Young's "All_Layers.lsc" & "Isolate_Layer.lsc".
Thank you Mike and William Vaughan (pushingpoints.com). :)

falogfx
11-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Thank you again!

These have been really useful to me recently.
And seems to be working fine with LightWave 11.
Great!

btw. I use also Mike Young's "All_Layers.lsc" & "Isolate_Layer.lsc".
Thank you Mike and William Vaughan (pushingpoints.com). :)
I didn't know about those two plugs, had to go download them. My scripts complements them nicely I think.

JeffrySG
11-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Love these type of layer scripts! Thanks so much for sharing them with the LW community!

Lewis
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
fantastic helpers, thanks man.

erikals
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
yep :]

Lightwave plugin - Select Layer Range
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39zGeDq6yY

Lightwave plugin - Show Selected Layers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3RpXok2YfE

 

kwasiada
08-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Cheers Bud
Massive help
I found that you can only select 180 layers at a time. But if you use Flatten Layers plugin you good to go.
Thats a heads up not a gripe, this plugin saved me days of work and certain RSI from a CAD convert with 60,000 layers!
Much thanks.

Peace

Andy Webb
09-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks falogfx, what a great little plugin, just what I was after :thumbsup:

sigmamoon
04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
thanks a lot, very usefull
change my life

thanks to have share it falogfx

zapper1998
04-11-2013, 09:21 AM