PDA

View Full Version : Jagged Lips

Tom Wood
10-15-2003, 11:10 PM
The lips for the character under my name over there
<<<---
are animated in Lightwave with one morph target, from closed to open. Both lips move the same distance in opposite directions to form a toroid as the fully open mouth shape. The morph is driven by the amplitude of the audio, and moves quickly at times.

Too quickly it seems to get a good edge in video, even when rendered with fields on, and enhanced medium anti-aliasing. I've tried going direct to .RTV, and also saving out to .TGA and then going through Aura to create a .RTV file for use in TED. While in Aura, the image plays back fine as a sequence of .TGA frames, but once in TED as an .RTV the top and bottom edges of the lips get pretty ragged as they move up and down.

Any suggestions as to how I should render and process this so I can get a smooth edge on those fast moving lips?

Thanks,

Tom

Rich Deustachio
10-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Did you have motion blur turned on?

Tom Wood
10-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Yup, no help. Even tried dithered.

EDIT: Found the solution - The FIX MOTION filter in Aura looks like it was made for this sort of issue.

So, when rendering out of Lightwave to a sequence of frames like .TGA, is the FIELD setting irrelevant if I will be processing the frames in Aura and then saving out as an .RTV? THe reason I ask is that I get only one file per frame even when FIELD is set to odd when rendering out individual frames.

TW

kleima
10-17-2003, 10:38 AM
I'm no Lightwave expert, but I thought you could render in Lightwave directly to RTV's. Why go through AURA?

Tom Wood
10-17-2003, 10:56 AM
You can, and I'm doing that too. But rendering out an image sequence, like TGA, has some benefits such as being able to use Screamernet (even on a single computer, like at night) and is supposedly 'safer' since the render can be restarted at any frame if there is an interuption.

Going through Aura adds the benefit of the Aura toolset, which takes a big load off of VTedit if you are moving things around.

I still don't understand how a single frame file in TGA captures field data though.

TW

Eric Pratt
10-17-2003, 11:07 AM
I don't know about any of this stuff, but Jagged Lips sounds like a great name for a band.

bradl
10-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
...how a single frame file in TGA captures field data though.

Whenever Lightwave or any Video app outputs 'fielded' frames, the two fields are both in the frame interlaced together. Now you may say well how is that different than a frame that is not field rendered? Field rendering allows movement from field to field effectively doubling the smoothness of moving objects in a sequence as compared to frame rendered.

If the movement of the sequence is minimal or very slow, frame rendering may be fine, however if there is movement, field rendering will always look better for NTSC output. You can easily see the fielding effect in a TGA file with movement (especially horizontal). It will tend to flicker and generally not look usable, but when played back in a sequence it will look fine, as long as you used the proper field setting for your hardware (odd or even). If the sequence looks horrible jerky when played, chances are you have used the wrong setting and you will need to re-render. De-fielding may partially salvage a badly fielded render but it will not have the smoothness you desired.

Tom Wood
10-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Eric Pratt
I don't know about any of this stuff, but Jagged Lips sounds like a great name for a band.

If only the band JAGGED LIPS had played in CLUB FOOT...

TW

But I'm pretty sure THE DEAD KENNEDYS did.