PDA

View Full Version : improve that transform gizmo in layout

ToonShady
10-15-2003, 10:35 PM
The move, rotate, scale gizmo are a bit small and hard to see if it's gets bury inside a rig. Make it an option to change the gizmo size and improve the gizmo visual design for effeciency. Also consider enabling quadrant manipulation in addition to axis manipulation for the gizmo. Currently the gizmo enables constrainting of the manipulation by dragging the individual axis. Quadrant manipulation would be constrainted manipulation of two axes by dragging inside the region between two axes. One last thing if this isn't implemented yet in the next release. It's been mention alot that there should be a viewmode manipulation. I would suggest that it's not another coordinate system to switch to, but as a behavior that while the user is dragging the mouse cursor outside of the gizmo. That way, view manipulation is always there, just the gizmo would display either the world, parent, or local axis mode for the purpose of constrainted axis or quadrant dragging.

jeanphi
10-16-2003, 05:51 AM
I prefer an other coordinate system for view mode.
I find the actual way very useful:

*Left/Right mouse moving with LMB for -/+ X position
*Forward/Backward mouse moving with LMB for -/+ Z position
*Forward/Backward mouse moving with RMB for -/+ Y position

I d'on't use handles, I just move freely anywhere in viewport.
It saves me so much time to rotate 2 axis at once without having my mouse on the handle.
For animation it's great. I can use only the perspective view and do all my rot/pos with left and right clic.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9142

mkiii
10-21-2003, 04:41 AM
If the numeric inputs on the bottom left of layout had scrolly input arrows like most other numeric inputs in lightwave (and for that matter - the same envelope controls ), a move gizmo that was hard to see would be less important.

I REALLY hope this is implimented in v8 - but haven't seen any evidence from the screen shots I have seen so far.

Anyone at Newtek care to fill us in on this? Chuck Baker, anyone?

Matt
10-21-2003, 05:03 AM
Had this idea on the vX interface, along with colour coding the XYZ / HPB with the on-screen handles . . .

I know NT took the colour coding on board, I heard Deuce mention it on a SIGGRAPH stream, whether he meant my post I don't know, I certainly suggested it some time ago!!!

Phil
10-21-2003, 07:33 AM
It might be useful to also make a little gadget available near this to switch between world/local/parent modes.

mkiii
10-21-2003, 09:53 AM
I assume that's what the tickbox in the example image is suggesting.

Matt
10-21-2003, 10:17 AM
a better version . . .