PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pro Rez Files

FNN Network
11-19-2011, 09:41 PM
We are using an Atomos Ninja to record productions so that we can use time warp in our HD300 for Instant Replay capabilities. Unfortunately, the Ninja records in Apple Pro-Rez files, which Speed Edit will not open/edit.

Does anybody know of a file converter that will take Apple Pro-Rez files to a format that both the Tricaster and Speed Edit would like/play?

SBowie
11-20-2011, 06:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Import Media module in TriCaster 450 and 850 will transcode ProRes.

FNN Network
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
We have the HD300. Before Version 3.0, we installed the Quick Time Player on the Tricaster machine (I know that's a no-no) and that has allowed us to bring them into Speed Edit.

When we upgraded to 3.0, when we brought the files into Speed Edit and tried to render to an MP2 file to give to our local Cable Company for television delayed replay, Speed Edit CRASHES, so we went back to the original version of Tricaster (restored) to it's original state when we purchased it back in August, 2011. I believe it's Version 2.7f.

The files we are importing are rather large chunks because they're from an Atomos Ninja recording Football Game productions.. We're recording on the Atomos in Pro Res HQ.

mikemsi
11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
The files we are importing are rather large chunks because they're from an Atomos Ninja recording Football Game productions.. We're recording on the Atomos in Pro Res HQ.

You're probably gaining VERY little, if anything, by using ProRes HQ. In most applications, standard ProRes 422 will work just as well, with about 1/3 smaller file sizes.

I'll sometimes still use HQ on some short clips, (just because I can, I guess), but for longer programs the smaller file sizes can help.

Here's a good rundown on ProRes: Picking the Right Version of ProRes (http://www.larryjordan.biz/picking-the-right-version-of-prores/)