PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help

veron
11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I have this wee scene but do need any advice on lighting with it. I have an area light in it and a light targeted to the clouds which i know are light in colour but not in this scene. I'm just frustrated with the lights.
Need advice on how to light my clouds and the scene in general.
Many thanks.

MUCUS
11-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi! You're scene looks already nice! :)

About the clouds, I don't see if it's a bitmap or hypervoxels that
you are using?

But Anyway, on this kind of scene I won't light them with a light but
simply with a luminous map, so that you won't have to deal with undesirable
shadows. The attached picture (sorry for the size!) is also a small scene
with area light focusing on the object while clouds are exclude from lighting
and lighten with a luminous map.

(Despite this, for more realism, it would be good to have all the objects under the influence of the same light)

About the rest of the scene, I would use the small lights sources you have
(the car, the street lamps) to have a nice warm lighting contrasting with the cold background.

I hope that you will show the progress you made with that scene! :)

stiff paper
11-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Not knowing exactly what 'feel' you're going for, and not knowing how the scene is set up already makes me feel as though any thoughts I offer are (potentially) going to be useless, but in a spirit of offering you some feedback that you can 'bounce off', whether it's right or wrong...

The blue background feels too bright to me as it is. I'd be tempted to take it down so it isn't competing so much in its values.

The central hotspot on the book also feels a bit too... well, a bit too hotspot-like. I'd probably move the light higher and play with its falloff and such until it gave a much smoother, gentler fade away towards the edges of the book. I think I'd also orange/yellow tint the light a little, that way the book will play as a nice warm FG against the cooler, distanced BG.

I don't know if it's a still or an animation. If it's a still I'd probably go for full-on, crank the settings radiosity with Linear ColourSpace (this bit is more important than people think for making really nice renders).

As to the clouds... it's hard to see what's going on with them. My first thought is that I'd probably try to up-light them with a warm light (like the one on the book) so as to suggest they're being lit with the bounce light from the book.

I have no idea if this is what you were looking for. It's hard to suggest lighting ideas for other people's work when in many ways it's all personal preference. I like the scene, so hopefully you'll find the right lighting treatment.

Sensei
11-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Definitely adding lights to lamps on the street will bring life to this scene.

veron
11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I've gone further now with it all, got the area light on the clouds and lowered the thickness which made them a million times better and lighter. I put as you guys suggested spotlights on the street lights with volumetrics, it does look nicer now. also used the light preset on the wee house lights of fireflies.
I did as you said about the area light, it is softer and bigger, shadows cast in the background of the windowless buildings.
But the render time for a frame is so bad and i can't get it down.

Basically it's a wee book that opens and the objects on the paper are morphed to pop up then the street lights turn on. The screen in the foreground will play a wee video when the camera zooms in to it. Then the page flips again to pop up a wee futuristic cityscape with winding roads.

I love the shadows cast in the background of the buildings and that is due to the point lights but it bumped up the render time so much that i'm very embarrassed to even tell you. lol..

veron
11-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi! You're scene looks already nice! :)

About the clouds, I don't see if it's a bitmap or hypervoxels that
you are using?

But Anyway, on this kind of scene I won't light them with a light but
simply with a luminous map, so that you won't have to deal with undesirable
shadows. The attached picture (sorry for the size!) is also a small scene
with area light focusing on the object while clouds are exclude from lighting
and lighten with a luminous map.

(Despite this, for more realism, it would be good to have all the objects under the influence of the same light)

About the rest of the scene, I would use the small lights sources you have
(the car, the street lamps) to have a nice warm lighting contrasting with the cold background.

I hope that you will show the progress you made with that scene! :)

Hi, did you use DOF the f-Stop of the camera to get the focus and blur? It looks amazing!
Have you ever keyframed the f-stop at all?

stiff paper
11-20-2011, 03:40 PM
If those clouds are hypervoxels then maybe you should try a render without them in the scene. Hypervoxels, notoriously, can take a long time to render.