PDA

View Full Version : Making new surfaces out of existing surfaces.

doowah2004
10-15-2003, 07:27 PM
If you have a cube that is 1 suface, and you wanted to break each face into its own surface...what is an easy way to do this?

I have a very detailed building that has many of the areas that will receive the same texture combined into 1 surface, then cube mapped. This renders well, and looks good, but I am trying to export fot Torque, and it does not support cube mapping, so I want to convert to planar mapping, but this makes some of the surfaces look weird because their normals are in different directions from the textures normal.

Does anyone have advice on fixing this....going through and selecting each poly and regrouping would be a daunting task, each surface has 1000-3000 polys.

bloontz
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
There are lscripts that allow you to select faces with normals facing in the same direction if that's what you are looking for. I've used one called DSelect but it's limited to the xyz axes. I think there is a shareware lscript that will work on any axis, do a search on flay.com.

doowah2004
10-16-2003, 05:08 AM
Thanks, if anyone is interested, I found a script called DSelect7, DSelect was made for 6.5 and less, but some one ported it for 7+. I am using 7.5 and it works great.

Thanks again for the help, I did not know this tool existed.