PDA

View Full Version : lightwave to game engine

kapta
10-15-2003, 03:45 PM
i am having trouble getting my model textures to show up in a game engine dark basic, the thing is i have vertex colors on my model and i need a way for them to show up either by using a program that converts to .x or a way of baking it properly i have tried baking but the result comes out way to dark, i have tried a few programs that convert to .x but the vertex colours don't show up any idea how i can fix this or achieve this?

thx

Red_Oddity
10-16-2003, 02:39 AM
I asume Lightwave DirectX exporter doesn't do this either?, nor the version from DStorm (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index-e.html)?

have you tried Milkshape or anyother smaller modelers (these are often handy when needing to convert something, do a Google search)

*edit* Oh my gosh, my english is horrible...

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 04:03 AM
Or find someone that has Maya or Softimage so they can export the vertex shader code in Cg for you.

kapta
10-16-2003, 05:50 AM
why, i thought directx 8 on wards supported vertex colors, is there really no way to do this?

i'm sure there are many commercial games that use lightwave and stuff like vertex colors how do they do this

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 01:54 PM
DirectX Supports vertex shaders, but the exporter for Lightwave does not. In the DirectX SDK it comes with an exporter for 3D Studio Max and Maya, Softimage has an exporter for Cg that Nvidia supports. Lightwave is not officially Support as 90% of game developers do not use it to export to their engines.

Red_Oddity
10-17-2003, 04:14 AM
very true, it's only since a short while LW is being used for model export...before that it was mostly used to render out sprites or cinematics...

meshmaster
10-17-2003, 10:35 AM
it'd be MIGHTY useful if Newtek/Nvidia/Some Plugin Developer, would take this in to consideration and put out a new, better .x exporter or what have you that does more than the dstorm one does (like say, export animation that morphbuilder and bones have on them by mapping the movements to points or polys and exporting those movements...) Suppossedly, trueSpace 6 has good .x exporter, as Caligari's moving towards gamespace, maybe Newtek can start following suit and get together with the Nvidia folks and get something going on... It'd be super cool if I could export .x with deforms from bones!!! :)

Also, not sure if this is viable/useful but there's something out there called lw2max that's a plugin that exports the lightwave objects out in to a form that can be opened directly in 3dsmax via plugin exporter from lw and plugin importer in max...
http://www.nextlimit.com/downloadlw2max.htm
If a plugin developer could get something like that to do lw2x with deforms and all like the lw2max seems to do, it'd be awesome!

WizCraker
10-17-2003, 03:00 PM
I'll hint at it to the DirectX developer team at Microsoft.

richardneail
11-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I too use Lightwave for all my Darkbasic models, Have you tried turning off the models lighting so it is not effected my lights in DB or tried altering the ambient light in DB too?

If you go to

www.geocities.com/richardneailuk/index.html

you can find my email on my site and also see some of my work in DB and Lightwave.

Drop me a email and I will see if I can help u more.

Rich

WizCraker
11-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Oh and I should mention Microsoft will not be doing anymore major changes to DirectX until Longhorn ships as it will include a new graphics standard for developers. To see a plugin that works with LW and DirectX like it does for Max and Maya would probably be up to Newtek.

richardneail
11-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Ok I am in the process of writing a plugin to load the LWO files into DB and DBP.

It isnt the fastest at the moment but I can load the files.

I will work on including the Vertex colour data and the UV data too, shouldnt be too hard.

Rich