PDA

View Full Version : ? Select every "N" --LWM

jeric_synergy
11-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I used to have a "Select Every N" button in LW modeler. It's disappeared w/10.1, so perhaps it was a plugin.

A quick perusal of lwplugindb.com didn't turn it up.

Anyone know if "Select Every N" was a native capability or a plugin?
(I can never find the "head scratchy" smily when I need it....)

Sensei
11-16-2011, 11:01 PM
I see "Select Nth" in Selection > Specialty in LW v10.1
Never used though.

jeric_synergy
11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Sensei: in the Menu Ed it's under Modeler Tools..... EVEN THOUGH THERE'S A "SELECTION" CATEGORY. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

erikals
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM
jeric, it's only there in 9.6 so if it's there you are using 9.6 configs.
load the default one to fix it ;]

Matt
11-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Sensei: in the Menu Ed it's under Modeler Tools..... EVEN THOUGH THERE'S A "SELECTION" CATEGORY. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That's because Modeler Tools is a plugin that creates it's own category.

But ideally should distribute into the proper sections, otherwise what's the point of them!

jeric_synergy
11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
But ideally should distribute into the proper sections, otherwise what's the point of them!
Well, YEAH.

Is that a NewTek plugin? And, if NewTek can't do that,....... ::eyeroll::

+++++++++
EDIT: IIRC, I'm using the Studio presets. I personally don't find them very helpful, but I had hopes. I'm currently amending them AFAP.

erikals
11-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Studio presets is not that good in Modeler imo, use Studio presets in Layout instead.

jeric_synergy
11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Studio presets is not that good in Modeler imo, use Studio presets in Layout instead.
I would have to say Studio presets in Modeler actually are a hindrance to production. :bangwall:

I can always go back to mine.... if I can find them.... :bday:

(I had an EXTENSIVE "Selection" tab: there's quite a few existing Selection tools that are, imo, overlooked.)

xxiii
11-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I would have to say Studio presets in Modeler actually are a hindrance to production. :bangwall:

I like the idea of the Studio menus (presets?), but last time I tried them (probably around 9.3), there seemed to be a lot of stuff missing. Also, I can't remember how to switch it on/off (thinking it involved using an alternate configuration file?)

I'm one of those people who -- if something isn't represented in the GUI somewhere -- is likely to assume it doesn't exist (I don't do well with memorizing shortcut keys, except for very common operations).

jeric_synergy
11-22-2011, 12:56 AM
I like the idea of the Studio menus (presets?), but last time I tried them (probably around 9.3), there seemed to be a lot of stuff missing. Also, I can't remember how to switch it on/off (thinking it involved using an alternate configuration file?).
Not as far as I know-- that would be like a "Workspace" function and TMK we don't have that.

At one time the Studio presets were a great improvement, but so many features have been added since they were current I think they just rather rusted. Of course, we can always roll our own but they were a great start &/or inspiration.

The mouse menus were particularly clever at the time: you could basically turn off the menus completely.

I'm one of those people who -- if something isn't represented in the GUI somewhere -- is likely to assume it doesn't exist (I don't do well with memorizing shortcut keys, except for very common operations).
You're not alone. This is why I think one of the next UI issues to tackle will be "Search" -- god knows I'm using the Menu Editor as a Search tool often enough, but it's certainly not intended for that application and it's rather like using a heavy wrench as a hammer: it works, but not well.

The Search in my ancient AE7 makes it usable: there's just too many things to track.

I'm reasonably sure Matt is on the case on this aspect. :thumbsup: :goodluck: