PDA

View Full Version : can I transfer my dongle ?

rednova
11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi all:

Everything is cool now.
But I just realized that in the future i will need a newer pc
to use with the next gen of lightwave. To keep up with the
times, etc etc.
If I get a new pc in the future, will it be possible to transfer my
legit dongle -lw- and the hard drive, will lightwave then work
in the new machine ?
Pls help me !!!

Thanks!!!

Rednova

RudySchneider
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Short answer - YES!

The whole purpose of the dongle is to allow users to load and use Lightwave on more than one machine, just not at the same time. For instance, some folks use a desktop at work, and a laptop at home or on travel. Plugging the dongle into the PC or laptop allows them to work anywhere! Personally, I've got a desktop and two laptops!

rednova
11-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Rudy:

Thank you !!!
You answered my question !!!

rednova

xxiii
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Short answer - YES!

The whole purpose of the dongle...

Which is why I cringe when there is the occasional talk in the forums of getting rid of the dongle. I'd rather have the dongle than the typical node-lock/activation, "oh, your hard drive died? can you prove it?" scheme.

Granted, the dongle could die, but I'll bet it typically outlives most computers, several times over.

Dexter2999
11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Which is why I cringe when there is the occasional talk in the forums of getting rid of the dongle. I'd rather have the dongle than the typical node-lock/activation, "oh, your hard drive died? can you prove it?" scheme.

Granted, the dongle could die, but I'll bet it typically outlives most computers, several times over.

One user in Japan just had to shell out $160+ dollars to replace a dongle that was going bad.

But, yeah, every system has a downside.

JonW
11-16-2011, 09:09 PM
When I bought LW9 I handed back my Mac dongle which I had for LW6 and I got a new one for PC & Mac with the LW upgrade, it didn't cost anything.